Importing new material

IanBro

Open your Library Browser . Place your intended texture files where LawB10 said (or at least a location you can have them parked, once there do not thereafter move or rename those).

Right-Click on the word "User Catalog" and select "New Material". That gives you a browse dialog that you use to navigate to your saved textures. Select one, Give it a material name, sest its vector view pattern if any and then repeat the process for each new material you intend to add to your Library Browser. 

DJP

Eric

The help section for adding a custom material doesn't specify the file type.  I tried to add the brick.jpeg but it didn't see it so I'm assuming a JPEG is not an acceptable file type.

Alan

Edit

Actually it does add it to the Materials folder in the User Catalog but when I try to apply it to a wall that file doesn't show up as being selectable.

Alan

That's an acceptable file type. Are you sure you were in the correct directory? Did you try typing in the complete filename instead of choosing from the list?

Eric

No I just chose it from the list -- the only choices I have are Library Materials and Plan Materials.  I don't know where the Library Materials are located to find the actual file path.

The other odd thing is I can open an elevation view, click the material and paste it onto the wall.  However when I go to the doll house view it shows up as a small object and it's angles through the wall.  The size is what I set in the material definitions window and I  used the actual size of the photo I took 11" wide X 4.5" high.

Alan

I was in that window but I didn't know what to change to make it look right on the wall.  I have two images -- one for just one brick that is 7.5" long X 2" high X 4" deep with 7/16" mortar.  The other is for a section of the wall.

Thanks

Alan

post-2501-0-77989000-1453832246_thumb.jpgpost-2501-0-70336700-1453832287_thumb.jpg

Those aren't going to look good tiled across a whole wall surface, so you may be better off using a brick from the Library Browser and just blending it to be a darker color, or find a better material to bring in that will look good tiled across a large surface (if using a Google image search, try searching for "seamless" brick textures.)

• Upvote 4

Kat is correct, But it does not look too bad, as long as you look from a distance. I just guessed at the size of the image -- 10"x10", which needs to be adjusted.

I've never done this, so don't have much to contribute.

Eric

What values in that window did you use to get that effect because all I get is what's shown on the screenshot the pattern fitting the whole wall?

Alan

post-2501-0-74190300-1453838225_thumb.png

Look at post #9. I changed the Scale to be 10" for X and Y from the default of 20. The 10" was just a guess from looking at the image, with a single brick being 7-1/2" long.

I'll bet you have Stretch To Fit checked.

Eric

I used 7.5 in both axis and I think it looks okay.  I'll play around with it some more.

Thanks for yours and Kats help

Alan