Double, Double Hung Window

jrubis

No mulling/grouping/blocking of windows in Home Designer

I'm confused..., isn't mulling just a group a smaller windows (and doors) making up one larger one?  I do that all the time in Arch and Pro versions by just dragging the windows/doors into each other so they merge.  Is this what we're trying to do here?

I'm confused..., isn't mulling just a group a smaller windows (and doors) making up one larger one?  I do that all the time in Arch and Pro versions by just dragging the windows/doors into each other so they merge.  Is this what we're trying to do here?

Kyle

Are you saying that they stay as one unit once you do that?

Alan

Only Chief has the ability to create mulled windows -- multiple windows that act as one, just like a real mulled unit.

In the Home Designer products, you may place windows together so they appear as a mulled unit, but they are still separate windows.

That's what I do.   Problem is that I have a transom above and two fixed panes below and they often don't get picked up.  I guess I could go to an elevation view and copy all the windows but I'm not sure that I can go back to plan and paste them.

Alan

Kyle

Are you saying that they stay as one unit once you do that?

Alan

I think others already beat me to this...  Yes, they sort of do..., kind of...  ;)  When I drag one window/door into another, their frames will merge (meaning the wall between them goes away).  I believe there are some settings to control the details of how they merge, though I haven't explored them.  Anyhow, in this way the windows/doors will appear as a mulled group, both side-by-side and on top of each other.  Here's an example from my current model made from 7 separate windows:

post-1560-0-82098100-1453944268_thumb.jpg

Moving them, however, is a slightly different story.  For side-by-side items, if you click one and initially drag it along the wall *away* from the others, they will separate.  If however you instead initially drag it *towards* the others, they can be moved moved as a group in both direction until you release the mouse button.  When the groups are more complicated, such as vertical stacking, I select them as a group using one of the methods the others have mentioned (ctrl-click, usually), and then I can easily move them all as a group.  Unfortunately we can't group them into an "architectural block" in the HD software.

So overall it appears to me the the ability to *create* mulled doors/windows fully exists within the HD software.  The handicap is that they are a less easy to move around in HD, but it's still achievable.

I should say that Shift-Select works for other things.

To select only upper cabinets, choose the Upper Cabinet tool and you will only select upper cabs.

And while you can use the same technique to select walls, you cannot choose which type of wall -- interior or exterior for example.

• 2 months later...

I would like to dimension the mulled units to their combined centre in plan but that doesn't seem possible. Also, dimensioning the frame or rough opening also dimensions the mullion between the two units unless it is reduced to 1". The individual windows does not bother me as much as the dimensioning issues. Would be nice to be able to set the Auto exterior dimension to centre of openings and have the mulled unit located with one centre dimension.

Any advise?