Roof Plane Keeps Moving

English

Go to solution Solved by English,

Please take a look at the two screen shots.  The second shows that the LH edge of the roof plane seems to have moved to the left thus cutting into the vertical wall such that the OSB is visible in the bedroom.  I adjust it so that it resembles the first shot and then a while later -- without me doing any work on the house (I was creating the landscape) it goes back to shot 2.

Any idea why this would be happening?
Thanks
Alan

post-2501-0-25406300-1452455521_thumb.pngpost-2501-0-86247100-1452455535_thumb.png

With roof editing and roof edicate always make sure that roof edges that are parallel to walls are absolutely parallel and not kinda or sorta parallel using the perpendicular/parallel tool on all manually edited roof edges. Mating edges should always be made using the "join roofs" tool. If you will do that it will reduce close to zero problems like the one you are having.

DJP

David

I used the parallel tool and made the LH edge of that plane parallel with the wall but it still reverts to the first screen shot.  I did check and the LH eye of the plane did not move at all as I thought.  Maybe it's a program bug.

Alan

post-2501-0-35191800-1452527248_thumb.png

There's a setting in the Roof Plane Specification dialog on the General panel called "No Special Snapping" - Try checking that, then make your change.

According to the Help: Check No Special Snapping to prevent the selected roof plane from snapping to the outer surface of any walls that it may butt against. When this box is unchecked, the roof plane’s edges will automatically snap to the outside of any nearby parallel walls.

Edit: Added screenshot for clarification.

post-35-0-77058800-1452615871_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

I looked for but could not find the command you mentioned in Home Designer Pro. Can you say exactly where it can be found please.

DJP

PS: Never mind, I did find it in the Reference Manual and subsequently in the Roof Specification Dialog. Thank you for pointing that out as I have been blind to its existence until you pointed it out Kat

Alan, you uncheck that setting and then manually move the roof plane edge away from the wall (the unwanted result is fully due to the roof plane edge being too close the the surface edge of the exterior wall, unchecking "special snapping" merely allows you to manually move the roof plane edge enough to stop the roof plane intrusion into the wall's outer surfaces). Give that a try before giving up.

DJP

David

Okay I unchecked that box and immediately the roof plane corrected itself.  Later it went back to the same as before.    You can see on the screen shot that the edge of the plane is not itching the wall and doesn't move at all when the OSB appears in the bedroom.  It's strange that this is the only plane that acts this way.
Thanks

Alan

post-2501-0-85206900-1452616059_thumb.png

I did a You Tube video of me messing around on your file which turned out to be a little unusual but interesting (to me at least):

https://youtu.be/GD8AwSUAWK4

DJP

David

I'm glad it just wasn't me.  I can't understand why the plane on the other side of that bedroom behaves itself and the RH one doesn't.  I may try deleting it and creating a new one to see if the issue prevails.

Alan

You should be able to, although I might copy the house to the terrain as terrains seem finicky about being moved.

Turn off the display of the terrain on the plan with the house you want to keep, and delete the house from the other plan, then use Edit>Edit Area>Edit area (All Floors) to copy the house from one plan, and Paste>Paste Hold Position into the other.

I'd also make copies of everything first.

I redrew the misbehaving roof plane, along with the small one, and the problem still showed up. 

I would send in to tech support to see what they say. My guess it's something not related to the roof -- walls or some other part of the structure that's causing the problem. 

• Solution

The strangest thing -- I copied the roof planes from the plan that Eric sent (where he had corrected my errors) then pasted into my plan and I have not see that anomaly were part of the plane was inside the building.  Go figure.

Alan

This is what the support people said.

Alan

We weren't able to view the video, however, in looking at the plan itself, we sometimes see protrusions, also known as "shooters," like this with slightly off angle wall or roof plane joinings, and it would definitely be nice if the program handled this better, so we have submitted the plan as an example for our Development team of software engineers to evaluate.