Strange Wall Behavior

English

post-2501-0-48599200-1452171926_thumb.png

You've modified your wall type and I think this Knowledge Base article explains how to fix it.

KB-00038: Resolving a Gap Between Floors in Camera Views

Thanks katalyst. I'll look that over later today.  Strange that when I opened the file that Eric sent it was back to normal but as soon as I started adding walls to the second floor it came back.  My wall connections got all screwed up as well (see screen shot) -- maybe that was related.

Alan

post-2501-0-48599200-1452171926_thumb.png

If not that is very strange behavior.

Not really, what you observed is merely a plan that is not finished. The  software is rather complex and sophisticated and a lot of times if you just press on, apparent problems like yours just "go away" as part of the creative process. Oft times, just pressing on, intending success the while is all that is necessary along with related study and proper creative procedure but in the end your intention to succeed is the senior factor.

DJP

• Downvote 1

The issue was I had changed the Brick 4 and Siding 4 configurations so that when I clicked on Align With Wall Below the house wrap layer would align with the outside layer of the brick instead of the two sheetrock layers aligning.  In real life construction the inside face of the siding would overlap the outside face of the brick and in fact would extend down the face a couple of inches.  Apparently HD doesn't like this and hence the gaps between floors.  I reverted back to default and the gaps went away.

I think that HD should allow me to do that otherwise the Align With Wall Below function is useless where you have walls of different materials and thickness.  I'm not saying it's a bug but by design for some reason.  If anyone has a better way of allowing correct alignment without having gaps between fully completed floors then please let me know.

Thanks

Alan

Alan, I've had similar results (with Arch version) of different exterior finishes not aligning well between floors.  I have noticed that depending on how closely aligned the walls of the two floors are before I click on the Align button, there can be more than one position that it can snap to.  For conceptual models I just sort of ignore this and move on.  Sometimes to limit the issue I'll modify the wall thicknesses to match better.  Not technically correct, but it lets me continue.  I hope with Pro there are ways to better control this somehow.

BTW I could get any of the pics you posted here to open.  It just sits there forever trying to load them.  What format did you post?

Regards,

Alan, I've had similar results (with Arch version) of different exterior finishes not aligning well between floors.  I have noticed that depending on how closely aligned the walls of the two floors are before I click on the Align button, there can be more than one position that it can snap to.  For conceptual models I just sort of ignore this and move on.  Sometimes to limit the issue I'll modify the wall thicknesses to match better.  Not technically correct, but it lets me continue.  I hope with Pro there are ways to better control this somehow.

BTW I could get any of the pics you posted here to open.  It just sits there forever trying to load them.  What format did you post?

Regards,

I posted screen shots as I always do.  They are .PNG files.

Alan

I posted screen shots as I always do.  They are .PNG files.

Alan

None of the images you posted in this thread load, but I can load the images posted by others.  Can you view them yourself?

...I just checked some of your other recent posts (a lot about roofs lol) and I can load your images in those posts no problem. They load pretty much instantly, like this one https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/1870-roof-plane-keeps-moving/

But the images in this current thread won't load at all. Maybe the file sizes are too large?

Glad that you were able to fix it up, even if it does mean you will need to manually align the walls using the Reference Display instead of the "Align with Above/Below" edit tools.

I guess it's the limitation of the software.  I think I'll submit a suggestion as the Align With Wall is a great option.

Alan