Wall Alignment

English

Go to solution Solved by English,

My first floor exterior walls are the standard Brick - 4.  My second floor walls are standard Siding - 4.  When I tell the second floor wall to align with the one below it aligns at the sheetrock layer i.e. the sheetrock on the second floor aligns with the sheetrock on the first floor.  According to the manual alignment is supposed to be the outer edge of the main layer.  I checked the standard wall definitions and both Brick - 4 and Siding - 4 have the stud as the main layer.

Also when I try to set the standard wall height on the second floor I get the attached message that there are varying wall heights on the floor above.  There is no floor above -- it's the attic.

Alan

post-2501-0-12264100-1452023073_thumb.png

• Solution

From the help: By default, walls on different floors are aligned by the outer edges of their Main Layers. See The Main Layer.

Your main layers are the same -- Where do you want them to align?

Eric

Normally the outer layer -- the siding, overlaps the brick on the floor below (and in actual construction the bottom of the siding is about 2" below the top of the brick course).  So -- the inner layer of the siding should be the same as the outer layer of the brick -- if that is possible with the program, if not then the outer edge of the house wrap should align with the brick.

Thanks

Alan

PS I guess I just answered my own question. :)   I changed the siding so that the house wrap was the first item on the main layer and for the brick I moved every item down to the main layer so that the brick was the first item on that layer and viola -- it aligns perfectly.

Ala

Build the first floor with your brick wall.

Build the second floor (it will default to the same brick wall).

Change the default Resize About setting. post-171-0-96916700-1452025710_thumb.jpg

Select the exterior 2nd floor walls, change wall type to Siding-4. They should align.