My Roof

English

I had some spare time (I'm retired) so decided to make a plan of my house.  Here is a screen shot of the roof.  It's all hip roofs and I created every one manually using the Roof Plane tool.  Took me close to three hours.  It must have given the framers a head ache to build it.

Alan

post-2501-0-24597400-1452013892_thumb.png

Looks like you have a bit more to do ?   :)

Did you try auto building it too? Maybe in a copy of the plan so you could compare.

Eric

Yes I noticed that as well -- it's a very complicated roof and not being able to get up there to check the roof planes pitch -- it's a guessing game.   So I didn't have to keep running outside every few minutes I took some photos for reference.  I'm starting over with the second floor and roofs so I'll see what I can do.  The first iteration I let the system build the second floor from the first but as it's a storey and a half some of the walls have to be deleted or shortened and as a result I kept running into that "These are auto generated walls do you want to delete" message and it leaves a broken line outline of the wall and it can never be removed.

Thanks

Alan

Modeling an as built can be difficult when you don't have access. 

Have you looked at a Google image of the roof? 

I fight those pesky auto attic walls constantly. 

Eric

I hadn't thought of Google.  When I had it re-roofed about 15 years ago I gave the plan (that I did in AutoCAD) to my roofer to estimate.  Because of hail damage the insurance company shelled out over $8000!!!

Alan

Here's the roof from Google Maps -- great help.

Thanks

Alan

post-2501-0-01392400-1452025861_thumb.png

Finally finished my plan -- spent about four hours building all the roof planes manually.  I'm going to go back and do an auto roof build to see what crazy results I get.  You'll no doubt notice the gap under the chimney wall.  Still trying to figure out why that is the only wall that has gap.  

Alan

post-2501-0-91678700-1452437011_thumb.pngpost-2501-0-60499700-1452437023_thumb.pngpost-2501-0-16513700-1452437033_thumb.png

Looks like you have multiple pitches on your model. I’d be surprised if the house were built like that, and looking at some additional imagery (from Bing) seems to confirm that.

Looks like you have mastered the hip roof.

Nice house and location too. 

post-171-0-72089600-1452448662_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-43395800-1452448703_thumb.jpg

Eric

That addition on the rear is a sun room that I built in 2005.  I created the plans using AutoCAD Architecture but I much prefer HD.  Yes a ton of hip roofs and very time consuming to get them to join.  We purchased the house new and it was built like that.  Kudos to the framers.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...