Creating a wall section view

Ross-Kzoo

I was wondering if there is a way to create a wall section view to use for approvals? This would include the footings, poured concrete wall, sill plate, engineered floor system, wall studs, top plate, trusses and roof materials.

Ross, not sure how the CAD tools work in Suite but I have a couple of suggestions. First, you can pull a cross section view of the wall you want to detail, add the information, draw in details as needed w/CAD lines add text etc (I think you can w/Suite). Secondly, what I do with pro-is go to the web and search for typical details (PDF) keyword residential walls and footing details (see the link I provided). I do a copy / paste into my plan layout sheet etc, (again not sure how it would work with suite) but I use CAD tools and trace over the PDF's and add notes etc with text tool. Once I have the detail complete I delete the PDF file and have nice details left.

Maybe this will work for you?

https://www.google.com/search?q=typical+wall+and+footing+details+for+residential+framing   just an example. The rest depends on your personal construction knowledge it won't automatically detail it for you.

AKAIK Suite can't do Cross sections can it ? ( didn't used to show foundations in Elevations either?) So importing images or PDFs are probably your options or just printing off Standardised CAD Details and adding to you Plan-set, most Planning offices make you remove any reference to Companies/addresses etc not your own as most plans are technically "copyrighted" .

you can use the "snapshot" tool in Acrobat Reader to get an "image" from the PDF of the detail you need and paste it to Suite ( or Word or ? ) to Print it with the extra info.

A lot of State's are required to post the Building Code Online by law , will take some digging but it has drawings for a lot of common situations.

eg California

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/code/bsc.ca.gov/gov.ca.bsc.2010.02.5.html

or even your local govt.office/building Dept. perhaps it has a Handout?

M.

It would seem that HD, as powerful as it is,could show a stud and a couple of other items to complete the wall cross section. When I was using AutoCad I could make a rectangle by picking the rectangle icon and type in DX=4,96 and I would have a stud 4" wide by 96" long. If I wanted more studs I would pick the item and copy it.

Pro can, it is a limitation of Suite , you can import/export DXF in Pro as well for doing Sections etc. 

Suite doesn't do crossections ,just camera views so you can't dimension etc or do CAD Detailing.

Not sure of Architectural's capabilities for doing those? but may mean you need to Upgrade or hired DJP to finish the drawing for you? 

Well, upgrading to Pro doesn't seem realistic since I'm 90-95% through with my plans. It's been over 20 years since I broke out my mechanical pencil and templates. The wall section view is the only drawing that I was missing and I wanted all the drawings to match but it isn't worth $400 to upgrade for 1 drawing.

David Potter charges $65 or $75 hour for Lessons , he may be willing to open a copy your plan and work with you to do the detail ? and print then to PDF. you wont be able to open the file again ,once its saved in Pro, so use a copy of your Original.

You have 2014 so neither Bob or I can help ,so David ,or Rich Wilson perhaps maybe willing to help? try messaging them....

I'd spend and hour or two google around though , lots of standard CAD details online ...unless you need a special case scenario?

even some of Chief's Sample Plans of full builds have them, some are in PDF already .

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/samples.html

eg

M.