Playground planning

SamR2007

Hello All,

I was wondering if Home Designer Pro has the ability to plan out just playset equipment for a given backyard.  I already have a house, which I've inputted into the software, now I want to plan a playground for the kids.  The thing I can't find off the bat is a way to design a playset - forts, swings, monkey bars, slides, etc.  - that is unattached to the house.  It would save me a lot of time if I can design such a thing and use the materials list and cutting guides et al to plan out my designs. 

Do such features exist in this software?  If so, can you point me to a good tutorial?  If not, can you recommend software capable of doing this?

Thanks

Sam, in PRO there are some "bonus" catalogues that might offer some things....all-be-it depending on your Pro version (10 to 15 etc) may not be what you need. You can also find some things at tremble's 3D warehouse: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search.html?backendClass=entity&q=playground+equipment

You might note will need to download a free Sketch up program so you can open / save 3D items to a file you set up, that will also work with your particular version of Pro.

You may also (once you've learned more about the soft ware and it's functionality/capabilities) be able to use shapes, other items to "create" some things. AS Mr. DJP would say......read the user manual, search the help features, practice, practice and practice some more!

Hopefully this will help a little.

I thought I had seen a Library with kids Playground stuff in it too but couldn't find it in my version 10 but perhaps in a newer version ? or I didn't use the correct search terms?.

M.

Edit:  There is some stuff in the bonus libraries for 2012 and up in a library called Outdoor Recreation, not sure what as I can't use it on '10

http://3dlibrary.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?r=site%2Flibrary&search=&x=true&hid_cpca=0&hid_cpu=0&hid_ctm=0&hid_ctnm=0&hid_order=&hid_norotator=false&hid_soft_family_1=0&hid_soft_family_2=1&hid_soft_1=0&hid_soft_2=0&hid_soft_3=0&hid_soft_4=0&hid_soft_5=0&hid_soft_6=0&hid_soft_7=0&hid_soft_8=0&hid_soft_9=0&hid_version_1=1&hid_version_2=0&hid_version_3=0&soft_family_2=2&version_1=on&x=0&y=0

Welcome to the forum, Sam.

While not necessarily a Home Designer answer ... you may want to take a look at the US Consumer Product Safety Commission's guidelines for playground equipment:  http://playgroundsafety.org/standards/cpsc

Even if you're not in the U.S., it doesn't hurt to see the standards that Professionals use when laying out playgrounds and choosing playground equipment.

Good luck. :)

Hm.  Thanks for all the help.  Some good resources here.  Let me ask this though:  Would I be able to 'build' my playset piece by piece?  In other words, is there a way for me to simply define a piece such as a 2"x6" of a given length, make a bunch of copy, place them where I desire, and repeat other pieces until I get my playset?  Then I would be able to get a bill of materials and cutting lengths as usual.  Is such a thing possible?