Fake Dormers

Darren

Go to solution Solved by solver,

Hi All

In a design I'm doing for the new home we have a wide house plan due to the contraints of the property.

On the far left and right we have gables and in the centre a gabled portico which I've been able to do.

The roof expanse is quite wide though and we want to add two dormer like structures to break up the flatness of the roof.

Sounds easy but I can't seem to use the dormer tool to create a fake add-on

Can somebody advise best way to approach this?

Darren

The key to getting the dormer tool to work is how it is set in its defaults before commanding a dormer appear. The geometry must be set to fit on the roof slope where you want the dormer to appear. Try different default settings until you find a combination of height, width and roof type that works for you (It can be done, no matter what you have, the only "no-no" or limitation is that the dormer must NOT be placed across the edge of a roof, rather it must be fully within its parent roof plane to form).

DJP

Thanks for the tip on the signature...

With a fake dormer I'm still having issues as it will be above a wall on one side

I don't need a window of course as it's just opening into the roof space but that seems to be the error I keep getting (about wall placement)

Here's a link to something similar to what I want to achieve - the fake dormer in the enter of the roofline...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mIc4jZqQGAQ/UGWvUcxF7jI/AAAAAAAATgs/_RcqhjpBCUE/s1600/kerala-house-plan.jpg

Darren

Post the plan?

Here is an idea to try. Make the plan work with the dormer instead of making the dormer work with the plan.

Change the plan -- walls etc so that the dormer works. Turn off auto rebuild roofs, then put the plan back as it was.

Hi Eric

As these are fake 'dormer' like protrusions, there is no room or walls within the roof cavity to cater for... a large number of larger homes have this kind of feature over here.

The plan is quite fixed as far as room sizes and orientation go (due to block layout) so changing the plan to suit the software if that's the limitation is not the answer - I'm sure its just me not knowing a way to add additional custom roofline data (I hope).

I hope I added the attachment correctly :)

The idea is to have two small fake dormers mid way between the portico/entrance and the garage on the left and library on the right.

Darren

The plan just shows the terrain -- no house.

What I was suggesting above was in response to "With a fake dormer I'm still having issues as it will be above a wall on one side".

If there is a problem with a wall, move the wall, place the dormer, move the wall back.

Ok, a quick read and edit and I was able to fix it by moving up to the attic space, from there you can place a dormer that open into the attic cavity and remove the window

Then messing around with the properties and setting the wall height to zero places it flush to the roof line where you place it

I changed the pitch to 30 degrees from the default 45 to make it look more suited to the other gables

Now to try and figure out how to apply an external texture/material to the dormer....

House-20151218.plan

• Solution

Can you use the material eyedropper? If needed, draw a new wall, make it the material for the dormer, then use the eyedropper to place the material on the dormer.

You can Explode the dormer (right click on the dormer, Explode Dormer) and then edit the individual parts, changing materials directly, but you will loose the Auto Rebuild roofs function.