Fireplace Design

patric7

This subject may have been addressed elsewhere - if so, I would appreciate being linked to any resources. 

Using Home Designer (now 2016)...I have difficulty using the BUILD FIREPLACE tool. I can certainly activate it, but then I don't seem to know how to insert the fireplace INTO the wall...

Second Question: Has anyone designed a two-sided fireplace (sometimes called see-through or walk-through) it is basically a fireplace viewed from two rooms separated by a wall...there is no real firewall in the rear...and I have read some issues regarding this type of fireplace, some suggested fixes, etc. 

I would love to place a double-sided fireplace, but since I seem a little awkward even placing a regular fireplace with the available tools....I decided to come here and ask for suggestions, directions, etc. 

Thanks, 

Patrick

LawB10, Thank you; precisely what I needed in your answer. Solver: I apologize; I am guilty of assuming everyone keeps their programs updated to the most recent version...I have 2016.

I have researched the resources both of you mentioned; I did not find particularly helpful pieces there. Again, my fault for not explaining that I would not have posted without first looking in the already existing resources.

Best regards, Patrick

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to figure out this same thing! 

1st question,  You place the fireplace on the wall itself and then click.

2nd question, you insert a pass thru and like solver said got to the library and look for fireplace inserts.

LawB10, could you explain your answer to the 2nd question a little more?  I didn't quite get it, and it sounds like it could be helpful.  Thanks!!

One of the keys to using the software, especially the titles that don't have all the options is learning to use the available tools to create what you need.

I see walls with a pass-thru to make the opening. You may need to place some soffits inside the fireplace area to clean things up.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help!  That makes sense.  I guess the one question it brings up for me regards Home Designer Pro.  Would the plans I am making on HD Architectural be usable if I upgraded to Pro?  If they are, and supposing that after I upgraded I wanted to print off some blueprints, what would that fireplace come up looking like on the blueprints if I just made it using some walls, a pass-through and some soffits?

Maybe I am misunderstanding the scope of HD Pro.  If I wanted to print out the plans and give them to a contractor, would they be able to use them, or would they have to draw their own plans from what I gave them?  

Thanks again for all your help!

The titles are all forward compatible, but not backwards, so Pro can open and use plans developed in any of the others.

The fireplace would look just like you modeled it. There is how it looks, and how it is built. A fireplace like that would typically be built with concrete block walls faced with stone, a wall you could define and use to draw the fireplace structure. You would create a CAD detail to show the specific construction details as needed.

You could also use a tool like SketchUp to create a fireplace and import it.

As long as your plans are complete, a contractor would be able to build from them. I would visit the authority responsible for permitting and ask about what they require. 

• 2 weeks later...

Check this link out i also found this tutorial very useful for inserting the fireplace

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00744/creating-a-custom-fireplace-and-chimney.html

I agree BruceJeremy--I located this article several weeks ago (after I had posted my initial query). I have it bookmarked to use as a pretty straight-forward and detail oriented instructional tool. 

• 1 year later...