Why on earth did I ever think that moving to 2016 version would go smoothly??

Keith_K

Go to solution Solved by katalyst777,

Stupid, naive me.

The crux of the matter is that when I opened a plan in the 2016 version all my floor/room settings  changed and I had to spend quite some time trying to correct them and getting them to accept what my floor default settings said they should show.  I succeeded to a degree but each floor has one which will not change and I don't know why.  I check the box to say that it must use the default and it changes to the correct setting but as soon as I click OK it resets to the incorrect setting.  I am somewhat pissed off to say the least.  I had hoped to achieve a lot this afternoon.  Instead I spent hours buggering around with recalcitrant software.

I hope that just by looking at my attachments someone will recognise what the problem might be because I am unable to attach of the HD 2016 plan.  I have tried saving it to a new folder on my desktop  but when I try and open it again I am told that I can't because it simply brings up the plan from the 2014 version with the message that it can't be opened because it has been worked on in  a newer version.  The only way I can get to it is via the HD software "home page".

I opened all the current plans in my desktop plan folder and they all seem to appear on that new HD "home page" but I am resisting the temptation to un-install the 2014 version in case I lose everything.

I'm now off to have a beer. :angry:

post-52-0-38637200-1450204511_thumb.jpg  post-52-0-22494700-1450204532_thumb.jpg

post-52-0-98642900-1450204548_thumb.jpg  post-52-0-70103800-1450204568_thumb.jpg

• Solution

Can't say without seeing the plan, but the easiest way to reset all your floor and ceiling heights back to defaults is just to go to Edit> Default Settings> Reset to Defaults. Choose All Floors, check Floor Heights and Ceiling Heights then click OK.

As an aside, whenever you upgrade to a new version and go to save an old plan brought forward, you should have an Archive of the older plan, so if you do decide to go back to 2014, you can check in to that (of course, any changes made in 2016 wouldn't have been saved).

• Upvote 1

I have opened your 2014 plans in 2016 and never noticed such changes. I open plans from others too that were done in older versions and never had this type of problem.

So I don't know how to help. You might send tech support a message and see what they say.

Thanks for your replies.

Kat - I did as suggested with partial success.  It changed the floor D and stem wall specs to what they should be but failed to correct the rough/finished ceiling heights which I omitted to mark in my attachments yesterday.

post-52-0-49385200-1450285407_thumb.jpg  post-52-0-04170100-1450285428_thumb.jpg

Eric - you have success because you aren't me.  I am fated to attract problems. There is a god somewhere how believes that I must have things that try me on a daily basis. :blink:

I am wondering whether the defaults for my foundations and the ground floor don't like each other.

I've managed to find a way of uploading the plan too.

Michelle Furnished and landscaped.plan

Support suggested that I change my floor default to "monolithic slab".  Which I did and it made matters worse. 

So I have just made everything "floor under this room" and the software can do what it likes with that.  I couldn't give a toss any more.

I haven't looked at the first floor yet.

I am actually quite sorry that I upgraded to 2016.  With 2014 I had all my plans in a folder on my desktop.  I would open the folder, click on the plan I wanted and it would open.  Now when I want something I am asked to give permission to myself to access it, give permission to the system to make changes, get a blank screen, then get another with "recent files" on and select from there hoping that the right (latest) copy of the plan will come up.  If it doesn't the whole process must start all over again by opening HD 2016, finding the plan in the folder, hope that it is still an accessible copy, say yes to pop ups, scream and then get to work.

And apart from some different DBX layouts (some of which take more clicks to use than the old ones did) I haven't come across anything in 2016 that makes me go "Wow, That's a great addition/facility/whatever".

So. 

Much. 

Wasted. 

Time.

As they say, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Ho hum.

I am actually quite sorry that I upgraded to 2016.  With 2014 I had all my plans in a folder on my desktop.  I would open the folder, click on the plan I wanted and it would open.  Now when I want something I am asked to give permission to myself to access it, give permission to the system to make changes, get a blank screen, then get another with "recent files" on and select from there hoping that the right (latest) copy of the plan will come up.  If it doesn't the whole process must start all over again by opening HD 2016, finding the plan in the folder, hope that it is still an accessible copy, say yes to pop ups, scream and then get to work.

. . . That doesn't sound like a Home Designer problem, that sounds like an operating system problem. Did you have an older version of Windows on the same system and upgrade it to 10? Seems like that has been known to cause all sorts of permission issues.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/11394-windows-10-says-i-dont-have-permission-save-anything.html

• Upvote 1