Pre-sales help : which product is right for me?

ExpatWorkshop

Dear Sirs,

I'm looking to purchase within the next few weeks but need a helping hand choosing the right product. For some time now, I have been using Punch Home & design software, but I recently upgraded wo Windows 10 and have had problems, which Punch don't really seem to care about... :angry:   So I want to switch to Home Designer but I have a few specific requirements and need some guidance.

I live in the Netherlands and, whilst there are a few, not many houses in the Netherlands (including mine) are build from wooden frames and have wooden cladding on the outside walls, etc. (i.e. we don't build houses like you do in the USA :) ). My main goal is twofold:

1 - I want to model my house as it is in 3D and be able to pull off brand new 2D drawings from that 3D model to be used as the official drawings for my house as it is today. The drawings / plans I have from the previous owner are, well, let's just say, the house doesn't look like it does in the drawings in some areas.... :mellow:

2 - I am a very keen woodworker and like to design my own furniture, cupboards, units, etc. For this, I am trying to learn SketchList, but this is a difficult product to learn (at least it doesn't lend itself to easy learning in my opinion). I used to use Punch's 3D modelling component that was built into Home & Landscape Design and that was great because you could accurately build 3D Models of most things and then save them to libraries to be used in your 3D Model of your home. Great for re-modelling ideas to show (and convince!) the wife! However, it was not a tool for then producing workshop drawings to build the cabinet from, or whatever the model object was. So I would like to try and be able to do that in Home Designer, somehow.

Can you help me choose he right product from your range here? I have downloaded and installed the Home Designer trial and I am playing around with that.

Regards

Lee

Hello Lee,

Thank you for the post and for your interest in Home Designer Software.

In regards to question 1, if you are looking for a product that will allow you to create detailed construction drawings on large format Architectural size paper (up to 18"x24" - approx. RA2 or A2 Metric) you will want to consider the Home Designer Pro product.  This is the only product in the consumer line of Home Designer that has a specific tool for creating layout sheets for generating construction documents.  If you need a larger sheet size that what is listed above, you will need to consider our Chief Architect Premier version.

In regards to question 2, the cabinet tools are very flexible particularly in the Home Designer Pro version.  You are able to modify cabinets and combine multiple cabinets into a single unit giving you nearly unlimited options for creating built-ins, custom cabinetry and more.  I would encourage you to play around with the cabinet tool and explore the options.  You mentioned that you are looking for a tool to create workshop drawings for building the custom units you design.  This software does not produce a cut-list automatically, but you can use the CAD tools along with the "backclipped cross section camera" to create scaled drawings of what you create. 

Here is a tech article about how to create a custom entertainment center that will show off some of the options available using our smart cabinet tools.  https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00918/creating-a-custom-entertainment-center.html

The Home Designer Pro and Architectural products have the ability to modify wall layers so that you can create most any type of construction.  The walls are layer based so that you have the flexibility to define the thickness and material of each part of the wall giving you the ability to create very custom wall types in the software.

I hope this helps.  Please feel free to call or email our sales department directly if we can provide you with and help.  You can email sales@chiefarchitect.com or call +001-208-292-3400.

Kind regards,

Derek

Chief Architect Sales

Hi Eric and many thanks for your response.

Wow! There is a hug and significant difference in functionality between Chief Architect and Home Designer Pro!

As a DIYer and home hobbyist, one of the key areas when trying to visualize what something will look like is to get as real an image as possible. In Chief Architect this is done through RayTracing capabilities. And yet, this entire ability is withheld from Home Designer!

I would have thought that an outlay of $495 would have at least given the home designer / DIYer the ability to be able to show what most of us at that level are looking for - photo realistic rendering...

It is clear however, that the line of products offered by Chief Architect really are second to none. However, I just feel the Home Designer products are too far removed from the Chief Architect products and that in order to get some of the, what I would personally call basics, I have to pay out over 4 times the amount... :(