Strange floating wall element behaviour

FlightDeck

Go to solution Solved by solver,

Hi all,

One of my models has blown up on me..., see image:

post-1560-0-45122000-1449989097_thumb.png

The problem is the wall corner boards and cornice mouldings mysteriously floating above the structure.

This model was originally okay however I had to do some major surgery by inserting an extra floor below the one you're seeing.  Since I don't have a version with the Insert Floor feature I had to do it the tricky way by successively copying existing floors to higher ones in order to create a blank floor in the middle.  Somewhere during all that work I ended up with this mess on the rooftop.

The roof top with the HVAC eqpt on it is actually Floor 4 in the model, not the Attic layer. It's simply a floor with no ceiling/roof, and all the exterior walls replaced by low Railings.  The corner boards are behaving as if the original full height walls were present by extending beyond the height of the railings.  The cornice mouldings are behaving as if there were another floor above this one, floating in space.  From before the model blew up I had their ceiling offset set to -102".  This means the height of the ceiling of the phantom floor is 102" above where the cornice mouldings are shown in the image.  If I change their ceiling offset to 0" they will float another 102" above their current positions.

It appears that for some reason my model thinks there is another level above this roof level and is applying the cornice and corner boards to that, even though these objects are on the Level 4 rooftop level, and there is nothing higher in the model other than the empty Attic layer. 

I tried deleting / re-adding the corner boards and it had no effect.

Any ideas what's happening here?

Thanks and regards,

KDJ

• Solution

I deleted the upper corner boards, then moved the lower ones into position via the mouse. They can be moved and resized.

I blocked the molding together so it would be easy to select, but that should not make a difference.

I moved it to floor 3, and aligned it, but also just set it to -130" and it was close.

post-171-0-37518200-1450025742_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I deleted the upper corner boards, then moved the lower ones into position via the mouse. They can be moved and resized.

I blocked the molding together so it would be easy to select, but that should not make a difference.

I moved it to floor 3, and aligned it, but also just set it to -130" and it was close.

attachicon.giffd 1.jpg

Thanks, Eric!  Good grief it's amazing how I forget the simplest things sometimes...  I got so fixated on the possibility of a "phantom floor level" in the model because I was inserting floors that it never occurred to me to simply adjust the size/positions of the objects that popped out of place!  I did try to resize the corner boards once but was looking in the object properties instead of just grabbing the resize handle...

I followed your ideas but left the objects on their original floor levels so the doll house view works correctly.  I simply resized the corner boards as needed and adjusted the vertical position of the cornice (and ignored whether the offset dimension value made any sense, which is doesn't), and now the model is fine again.  Something must have gotten knocked out of place during the floor insertion surgery to cause all this, as I got a few errors about negative ceiling heights, etc., before I got it all sorted out.

Thanks again!  :)