Roof Design Help

cxcarter

Go to solution Solved by cxcarter,

New construction.  I purchased a 2D drawing from a designer online and wanted to put it in Designer Pro to create various walk throughs and add personal touches; however, I am having troubles matching the roof systems up.  I have included a PDF file of the online designer roof (ODR) as well as the drawn plan in Cheif Architect.  I would like to match the ODR roof with the CA roof however, I am having troubles doing so - the cuts are vastly different.  Any assistance helping me understand what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.  The entire house has roof pitch of 8/12 with the exception of the back porch, which is 3/12.  Thanks again.

Original_Roof_Plan_Rev1-12-10-15.pdf

Practice_Plan-Rev1_12-03-15.plan

Thread from June

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/1200-porch-creation-with-different-roof-pitches

Edit>Reset to Defaults

Select All Floors. Check all boxes below.

Uncheck Roof Over This Room for both porches.

Set the left, and 2 rightmost front walls to Full Gable.

You should have, minus the porch roof, what you see here.

post-171-0-16420500-1449766178_thumb.jpg

This roof is auto built. I prefer to let the software build what it can, then use the manual tools as needed to complete the work.

post-171-0-32340000-1449780921_thumb.jpg

Review the thread referenced above for info on the porch roof.

What does the front porch roof look like?

There are often multiple ways to build a roof for a plan. Home Designer simply covers the space with a roof with your settings -- pitch, hip or gable etc. It does not design the roof. It is often possible to take an auto generated roof and clean it up visually, make ridges align for example. You need to use the manual roof tools for this.

When you copy a plan, details matter. Roof overhangs, ceiling heights, room dimensions etc all need to match to give the software the info it needs to build the roof. Even then, it may not match.

Don't let David's video make you think fixing the roof is that difficult. It's a 3 minute job, not a 30 minute one.

To show how a small change to the plan can make a difference in the roof, I moved the front wall of bedroom 3 forward to align it with the entry wall. This makes the ridge continuous and in my opinion, cleans up the look.

post-171-0-35022500-1449885383_thumb.jpg

Here is the You Tube video of me working on your plan:

https://youtu.be/_k6o0fDij6w   

DJP

Thread from June

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/1200-porch-creation-with-different-roof-pitches

Edit>Reset to Defaults

Select All Floors. Check all boxes below.

Uncheck Roof Over This Room for both porches.

Set the left, and 2 rightmost front walls to Full Gable.

You should have, minus the porch roof, what you see here.

attachicon.gifcxc r1.jpg

This roof is auto built. I prefer to let the software build what it can, then use the manual tools as needed to complete the work.

attachicon.gifcxc r2.jpg

Review the thread referenced above for info on the porch roof.

What does the front porch roof look like?

There are often multiple ways to build a roof for a plan. Home Designer simply covers the space with a roof with your settings -- pitch, hip or gable etc. It does not design the roof. It is often possible to take an auto generated roof and clean it up visually, make ridges align for example. You need to use the manual roof tools for this.

When you copy a plan, details matter. Roof overhangs, ceiling heights, room dimensions etc all need to match to give the software the info it needs to build the roof. Even then, it may not match.

Hello David,

Thank you for the guided video.  It offered great insight on how to manually manipulate a roof.

Eric,

I followed the steps that you outlined and restored the plan back to its original layout; however, the roof over the manually built bay windows by the garage picked up the 45 degree roof plane.  I deleted them and drew a manual roof plane over them with the porch. 

The front porch should look like the attached drawing with an 8/12 pitch.  I've been playing with the program for the past two days in an attempt to not bug you guys with, what seems to be, trivial things.

I've tried to add the rear porch with the 3/12 pitch per the post in June; however, I guess I have a thick skull because I am still having issues with the connecting point: there is a gap between the fascia board of the porch and the main roof line when 3D viewed via the left elevation.  How do you add gutters on just one part of the roof?  If I add gutters to the roof plane to the right of the rear porch it adds them over the entire roof plane, even where the upper portion of the porch roof and the main roof meet.  I noticed this when trying to join the two planes together.  Can one of you guys help me with this?

Thanks!

The drawing for the front porch roof was not attached.

Getting rid of the fascia gap is easy.

The fascia must be at the same height so they join seamlessly. 

post-171-0-86229200-1449936555_thumb.jpg post-171-0-61129200-1449936571_thumb.jpg

Now reconnect the porch and garage roof, and the connection should look good.

Gutters

1st, it sounds like the manually drawn porch roof is not connected to the main roof, if you are getting a gutter there. When you draw in a roof plane it needs to be connected to the adjacent roof plane. By connected, I mean, select one roof plane, press 2, select the adjacent roof plane, and the program will, if possible, connect them. 

Posting screen captures will help us understand, and result in better answers. And don't not post about a problem. Check the resources below first, then post if you cannot work it out.

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

There is also a Users Guide and Reference Manual available for download.

The drawing for the front porch roof was not attached.

Getting rid of the fascia gap is easy.

The fascia must be at the same height so they join seamlessly. 

attachicon.gifcxc r4.jpg attachicon.gifcxc r5.jpg

Now reconnect the porch and garage roof, and the connection should look good.

Gutters

1st, it sounds like the manually drawn porch roof is not connected to the main roof, if you are getting a gutter there. When you draw in a roof plane it needs to be connected to the adjacent roof plane. By connected, I mean, select one roof plane, press 2, select the adjacent roof plane, and the program will, if possible, connect them. 

Posting screen captures will help us understand, and result in better answers. And don't not post about a problem. Check the resources below first, then post if you cannot work it out.

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

There is also a Users Guide and Reference Manual available for download.