Roof/floor/wall height problem

scott65

I'm going to try to attach my plan to this, I hope thats ok/standard procedure.  Would someone mind looking to see if you can figure out what I've messed up?  The back of the house, master bedroom.  If you look from the outside, there is a section of roof that is raised up. It wasn't like this when I did the initial layout.  I don't know when this first occurred.  At one point I had a fireplace and windows on this wall, but I've since removed them thinking maybe that was the problem, because I never seemed to have the fireplace built correctly.  But I don't really think thats when this happened anyway. I can't tell if its a height issue with the wall, 2nd story floor, ceiling height, or what.  I've checked and changed any settings I can think of that might be related.

Thanks

Also, the small portion of roof above the first story in the front, opposite of where this first problem exists.  There is a small section of angled wall below that doesn't exist on the 2nd story.  The 2 angles of roof line make things a little off kilter over that angled section.  Is there any way to fix this, or is this just going to present a problem when framing?

New2.plan

Wow, thanks for all the help!  To answer a few questions, yes this is a new build.  The angled wall is probably silly, and not needed.  This house is going to be built within the footprint of an existing farm house, so that hopefully most of the trees growing up around it can be left in place.  We originally weren't going to build a 2 story but decided to get the space we wanted, it was that or take out the trees.  I don't care much for the large blank walls of a 2 story house, so I was trying to give it a little more dimension.  The existing house has a similar angle so I just copied it into this design.

I'm using Home Designer Suite 2016.  Sorry, I'll update my signature in a minute.

I have tossed around the idea of 10 foot ceilings throughout, but haven't done anything about it in this plan.  For whatever reason, the height values were defaulted just as you see them, or something unknown to me changed them.  In other words, I didn't purposely alter any height measurements.  And as far as wanting the roof to look that way, I'm not sure which section your talking about.  I'm ok with the look of everything except for the step-up on the back master bedroom, that was originally flat all the way across the back.  And also the goofy section above that angled bathroom wall, but this has been that way since I drew it out, a secondary concern.

I can't try what you guys have suggested, or look at that new plan just yet.  I am at my work computer now, its loading a new update for Home Designer.  I'll check it all out when that is finished.

Thanks again for all your help!

Wow, thanks for all the help!  To answer a few questions, yes this is a new build.  The angled wall is probably silly, and not needed.  This house is going to be built within the footprint of an existing farm house, so that hopefully most of the trees growing up around it can be left in place.  We originally weren't going to build a 2 story but decided to get the space we wanted, it was that or take out the trees.  I don't care much for the large blank walls of a 2 story house, so I was trying to give it a little more dimension.  The existing house has a similar angle so I just copied it into this design.

I'm using Home Designer Suite 2016.  Sorry, I'll update my signature in a minute.

I have tossed around the idea of 10 foot ceilings throughout, but haven't done anything about it in this plan.  For whatever reason, the height values were defaulted just as you see them, or something unknown to me changed them.  In other words, I didn't purposely alter any height measurements.  And as far as wanting the roof to look that way, I'm not sure which section your talking about.  I'm ok with the look of everything except for the step-up on the back master bedroom, that was originally flat all the way across the back.  And also the goofy section above that angled bathroom wall, but this has been that way since I drew it out, a secondary concern.

I can't try what you guys have suggested, or look at that new plan just yet.  I am at my work computer now, its loading a new update for Home Designer.  I'll check it all out when that is finished.

Thanks again for all your help!

scott65,

I know what your talking about, for some reason the software adds 12 inches to the first floor room(s).

If you disconnect/reconnect walls on the second floor, the software will add 12 inches sometimes 24 inches to first floor room (s)

A fix is to turn on the reference tool, go to the second floor and disconnect walls that are within the first floor room (s).

Then go the first floor open the room specification box make your changes, go back to the second floor and reconnect the second floor walls.

Make sure second floor walls are aligned with the first floor, that helps to eliminate the problem.