How to add casing/moulding to library for use

SAILOR139

I downloaded a casing/moulding from 3D Warehouse to use for baseboard and window casing.  The software import inserted it into the User Catalog.  When I tried to access it from the Room Spec box the software would not give me access to this Library location nor does it appear that you can revised the casing on the window.

I tried to copy and paste the new symbol to the Moulding catalog but the software prevented it.

Any suggestions to resolve the above related issues?

Attached image of casing.

FYI: great number of casings and mouldings on 3D Warehouse;  need to know how to get access to them.

ca-0002 casing Full Camera Image.pdf

Let's be realistic.  Premier is a 2700 dollar program; surely you joke.

Please address my questions with realistic answers.

In regards to your answer about bringing the symbols in; yes, you can.  I have and have used them in some instances including base mouldings.

I haven't found this feature to be important enough to upgrade to Premier myself, yet, but sorry, I am being realistic.

You can import objects in to the less advanced Home Designer programs but they are all going to be "Interior Fixtures" and treated as such. Only the Premier X7 has the advanced capabilities on how to bring stuff in.

From this article: https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00888/importing-3d-symbols.html

• All imported third party symbols are brought in to the Home Designer software as independent interior fixtures, meaning they will be located on the "Fixtures, Interior" layer in Display Options.  

• The Chief Architect Premier version of the software has additional options for importing 3D symbols, such as doors/windows, lights, cabinets, and much more. If you are interested in upgrading to the more advanced version to gain these features for imported symbols, please contact our Sales team directly to discuss your upgrade options.

You could rent Premier monthly too, which would help to spread out the cost, and then you'd be able to create custom 3D moldings too, not just apply them to rooms.
http://www.chiefarchitect.com/software-rental/

Otherwise, trudge along like the rest of us and make do without the fancier capabilities! :)

You can't access it from the Room spec box, you have go to your user catalog, click on it and insert into the room.

If you want change the casings for windows and doors  open the specification box(s) and uncheck casing(s) for the

Interior and Exterior.

• Downvote 2

I understand how to paste the moulding into the room as base board or chair rail; I have experimented with this technique.  However, the casing comes in horizontal and does not rotate to the other three quadrants; also will the corners be mitered.

Can you help on this?

You will have to use SketchUP to get the angle you want.

Also it helps if you are more specific with your questions.

To add on to your first question. The software does not import to the library, you have to add to it.

Only these catalogs show up in room specification box(s)

Core Content

Bonus Content

Manufacture Content thats downloaded from the Homedesigner site.

Creating casing in sketup and importing the files is not good use of time.  Since I did not know how to use Sketchup it took approx 6 hours to modify this casing so I could use it on a window.  It required four different imports, one for the top, sides and bottom.  I experimented with several different options.  Maybe someone with Sketchup experience could have done this differently and simplified it.  It appears it comes in with rotation only on the Z asiz, not good; if it came in on the X or Y axis only one import would be required.

Chief Architect needs to simplify the changing of casing/moulding on windows and doors.

Kevin E3-Full 2.25 casing.pdf

Your right, since you did not know how use the program it took you that long.

It does rotate on the z, y, and x axis, you only needed to rotate the sides, the top and bottom just needed to be

reversed or rotated.

You take the molding and rotate for the left side and save as leftside, take the same file that was saved and rename it rightside.

• Downvote 1

This is exactly what I did!

I was discussing about bringing it into Chief Architect.  Please reread what I said.  If there is away to rotate it in CH one would only need one copy of the casing. Also, can the Sketup data be frozen in certain x, y or z axis so the the moulding in CH could be reduced or expanded in two linear direction; otherwise you are stuck only in one direction.

SAILOR how you create it in Sketchup is how it shows in HD. If you create on the y axis@45 degrees thats how it show. In Suite you are limited to how

you rotate something, in Pro your not. Pro can rotate on the x, y, z axis, Suite does not.

You said it yourself, you didn't know how to use the software, that's why you have the issues. Learn how the program works and it's capabilities.

Your asking to do something Suite does not do.

If you check the image you will see that I have correctly inserted the 2.25 casing on the window.  I apprarently understood enough of SketchUp to make this happen.  What you said above I understand.  I tried several different casing versions in various orientations created in SketchUp and inserted them in CH to see how they would react; hence, the decision to create 4 different orientations to case the window.  Again, I think this is a losing proposition since the casings are not an integral part of the window.  If CH can do what you say they can in PRO concerning the axis why wouldn't they do the same for their other packages.

I have 40+ years of CAD experience on very high end system; I don't believe a package like SketchUp will be much of a problem if studied.  I just find the horrible amount of bugs in CH unacceptable and frustrating.  Maybe, I expected too much after working on CAD system that were virtually bug free.

However, CH Suite does a beautful job of rendering for such a low end package and I would recommend it as long as the person understood its limitations.

There must be a way to insert .skp files into the core catalog folder.  Again, I'll keep searching.  Might be a torrent that will do this?

You can't insert  .skp files into the core catalog folder. What you have to do is add it to your user catalog.

Click file>Import>3d Symbol- it goes to where you downloaded the file, click on the file and it should open in your plan.

Then click on the Symbol and then click on the icon with the 2 books and the plus sign. The program will add it to your User Catalog.

What goes to Core, Bonus and Manufacture catalogs are files the end with .calib, .calibz

To follow up on this thread.

I have modified a sketchup model for a standard 30" CA door.  This model represents a standard 2-1/4 door/window casing which includes the top and both sides of the door.  I created a folder for it and will create a model for each major door size.  The room base moulding is one of several that are available in 3D Warehouse.  Of course, it takes additional time to add these to one's desgin; but, they are much more professional than the square casing CA uses.

It is relative fast to copy and paste these casings and center them using the centering tool.

The same technique can be used for windows.

The moulding which CA uses does not stop at the door casing; it extends to the door jam; hence, it melts with the door casing and creates a disfigured joint.

Attach image of my door casing and base moulding.

Kevin E4- Stock 2.25 door casing and custom baseboard.pdf

• 2 weeks later...