Step in roof on a 1-1/2 story

SAILOR139

Go to solution Solved by SAILOR139,

This is remedied by altering (changing) the ceiling height value either on the second floor and or first floor, changing it gradiently and then after each change, checking the results in an overview camera. What this does is to move the roof planes up or down (by changing the second floor ceiling heights up moves the roof planes up on the second floor or down if you use a lessor value for ceiling heights). You change the ceiling values a little and then check to see if that helped or made worse how the roofs are in relation to each other (first floor to second floor). In Suite, that is the only way you can apply control to the z-axis height of roof planes.

DJP

Thanks for the input.  David, I tried reducing the ceiling height for the second floor.  I had to reduce it to 82" before the step came out.  Since the roof over the porch is tied into the main roof I began increasing the height of the porch ceiling; this resolved the step issue.  I still had issues with the garage roof integrating with the main roof; I just kept adding and changing attic walls in the garage until it was resolved.  The one main roof plane at the garage end should had extended all the way to the garage roof; it doesn't.  I haven't been able to force it to do so.

In an earlier post I was having trouble with the dormers.  I used your suggestion to create them manually.  I used a manually created dormer for the front which is split between a stairwell and a bedroom;  this work.  The back dormer is an automatic dormer which worked fine for this bedroom.

Thanks

LaeB10, I do check alll my walls; however, I was not aware they change ceiling heights if not align.  Thanks

Kevin E1.plan

Kevin E1-Perspective Full Overview Image.pdf

David,  I'm retracting my statement about lowering the second floor ceilings.  The way I corrected the roof step cause the roof ridge to be off center.  I did as you suggested; at ceiling height of 78" the ridge was dead on center and the step was gone.  I called for no ceiling and all the rooms appeared OK.

• Solution

My final results.  See image.

The 2nd floor 78" high;  I used soffit per your suggestion to obtain 96" ceiling for images. The garage storage area 56" high; used soffit again.  All attic space 95-5/8.  The front dormer is manual and the rear dormer is automatic.  Both dormers are set back 2' from first floor exterior wall.

It appears all exterior and interior images are correct.

Thank you for your help!

Kevin E3-Perspective Full Overview Image Rear.pdf

Kevin E3-Perspective Full Overview Image Front.pdf