Dormer problems

SAILOR139

Question:  If Automatic Dormers are used can walls be attached to them.  See attached image.  I had planned to run a center wall within a wide dormer which separates a stairwell and a bedroom.  I also planned to attached a closet wall to one of the dormer walls and a bathroom wall with the other.  In the case of the center wall the dormer greys out. In the case of the attached walls there is a gap between the dormer wall and the manually placed walls.

If I built a manual dormer there is a gap in the dormer wall where it meets the roof plane of the roof.  This is mentioned in the tutorials but no clear explaination how to rectify this error; the one they suggested appear not to work. Does it need to be fixed with a sofit patch or is their another fix?

Is the above possible in either case?  Or will I need to create a manual dormer and use a sofit patch for the gap?

DORMER 01.pdf

I think no one has answered your "question" because you already answered it with your attached PDF. Normally, I I make a dormer part of a room, I "explode it" into its individual parts first but that is merely a habit of mine, in order to have a "room" you have to have a space closed with walls, this gives you a room specification dialog box, that is a fundamental requirement.

DJP

I'm using Suite, I'm not sure I can explode it??  If I can will this solve all the other problems?  If not, I will need to draw the dormer manually.  What about the gaps and the gutter that are created when the dormer is drawn manually?  I know I can use the transparency technique to get rid of the gutters, but haven't found a solution for the gaps in the walls.

Having just been helped on another topic by a Forum member, I thought I should return the favour by offering these comments about how I built shed dormers in my model. I agree with DavidJPotter about generating useful, rather than perfect, results. I needed a shed dormer window in a mezzanine level room. I did this by first replacing the one roof plane above the room by four roof planes (one on each edge of the rectangle created by the dormer area). Opening up the roof in this way created a "hole" into which I built the dormer. I did this by creating a fifth roof plane as the roof of the dormer, at a flatter pitch than the rest of the roof (I used 5 degrees, compared to 30 degrees for the rest of the roof). I then placed a window into the wall under the front of the dormer, and then inserted inverted wedges into the sides to create the dormer walls. The resulting shed dormer is not exactly perfect, but as the photos show it is more than enough to show me whether it will work OK and to show the builders exactly what I want.

post-4517-0-19074600-1448756596_thumb.jpg

post-4517-0-91460300-1448756620_thumb.jpg