Duplex with garage in basement

rferraro

I'm designing a stacked duplex, with one apartment on the main floor and another in the basement.

The basement portion of the dwelling is divided into 2 sections. One section of the basement is part of the main floor and includes a family room and garage, and the other section serves as an autonomous apartment.

The basement is 54 inches below ground level, and the finished floor to ceiling height is 9 feet.

I'd like to have a sloping driveway leading down to the garage. The slope should be restricted to the width of a driveway (about 16 feet wide and 20 feet long) and should start at ground (sidewalk) level and descend to the garage.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks for your reply. I'm using Home Designer Suite 2016.

I did add a perimeter, and tried Elevation Lines to slope. That worked to some extent, except that I need the slope to be restricted to the driveway only; using Elevation Lines (as far as I can tell) spreads the slope throughout the perimeter. Elevation Region does something similar. I guess what I'm looking for is a way to define an area and then change its slope without affecting the rest of the lot. Can this be done?

I can zip and include my plan if that would help.

From my experience with the terrain tools, HD tries to calculate what the remaining elevations are based on the terrain data you enter so you can get very strange results.  There's a few you tube examples I'd suggest looking at for help.  It's not as similar though as carving out an area - I'm having a similar challenge with a walk-out basement area

Thanks for replying.

It doesn't make sense to me that we're not able to define a specific area that needs its own elevation -- there must be something we're missing. It's a real deal breaker for me, because I can think of many areas that would need that same functionality, a walk-out basement in particular. I hope someone from the team decides to reply, it could serve as a tutorial for others...

It does seem like this would be easy, and maybe it is. Create a slope within a boundary. This type of tuck under garage is not uncommon, and this could be used for other things as well.

I've never worked with terrains, but there are articles in the Knowledge Base, and a search for Terrain will bring up forum postings too.

You can simulate this by using some non terrain objects.

This image uses a hole cut in the terrain, with a wedge from the library inside forming the sloped driveway. The foundation walls were pulled out to form the sides.

post-171-0-10234500-1448675896_thumb.jpg

This was my attempt to use terrain tools to do the same.

post-171-0-68488600-1448675877_thumb.jpg