Model rotation and plan view panning - slow and sluggish.

Robborito

I have been using HDPro for a few months now on selective projects - and still find that the 3D camera views in rotation and general screen movement to be disappointingly slow and sluggish. (at best)

I have discussed this issue with HD Pro support, lodged plan files, bmp samples, have turned off all my fills on screen in plan view at support suggestion etc, but even the simplest of models that I work on I have the same delayed screen movement of what I might be working on.

Are there other iMac or 'Mac-users' of HDPro that also experience this?

I've only really noticed this since I purchased  the licence and got into it properly - so the horse has bolted on it for me.

But - I was curious to see if this activity is simply unique to my world - or is it the iMac scene.

I have the latest OSX and graphics updates also on the iMac.(10.9.5 is all I want atm)

No change graphically.

Its rather disappointing really.

Cheers.

What is the size in Mb of your plan file that is slow? When you create an overview,how long does it take to fully initialize? Do you have a large terrain plane with many plant and tree images? It sounds to me like you may have created a highly detailed, large plan file that would slow down any PC or Mac. There is a limit as to how much graphic data can be easily displayed per unit of time.

DJP

What is the size in Mb of your plan file that is slow? When you create an overview,how long does it take to fully initialize? Do you have a large terrain plane with many plant and tree images? It sounds to me like you may have created a highly detailed, large plan file that would slow down any PC or Mac. There is a limit as to how much graphic data can be easily displayed per unit of time.

DJP

No nothing of the sort, this can occur on very simple models, nothing elaborate with lots and lots of extra detail and objects like you are suggesting I my have; I know that has an influence on it all but I have none of that; It was suggested to me by the support ticket response I got that my plan fills and kitchen cbd bench top fills might be causing an effect; they were removed to no avail - no change when I resumed no fills; Still sluggish movements.

As for the use of Macbook Pro - that is not the same as iMac - I only have 512 k of video - whats doing on the Macbook? I think it may be more. 

I am becoming of the opinion that for me - HDPro has its limitations.  Well so it seems.

I am used to a more free-er liquid smooth flowing pan and 3D manoeuvring with other software I use.

I think its the engine in HDPro.

You guys might be flying with it for now - but I am not.

I find it all too frustrating.

The obvious things (like suggested above by two users, thank you kindly sirs ) are not things I am doing - I know the difference.

I will pursue this for a while.

Thankyou again for your suggestions.

The problem is with your video, you only have 512k. at a minimum you should have 2Gb. If I'm not mistaken the software tells you what's needed

to run the software.

The minimum requirement is 512K....stated by CA.

No doubt more would help resolve this - but the minimum appears then not to be exactly useful for day-to-dy users.

• 2 weeks later...

I have temporarily improved my situation by turning off shadows and selecting vector rendering; The software fly's allot better for me. I just do a final render 'with shadows' when I need it as a final image to show my client; Seems to me - that HDPro has been setup like this for this very reason.

I have no doubt that there is so much more of these items in here that it will take me a few years to discover.

What I need - is a shortcuts book of videos? Or - maybe just some more time to burn.

Anyway - all much better for now for me at least.

As for the 30 seconds dead spot 'RollingStone' user - I have had that also on occassions - but reasoned I did something dumb!!

Not likely the software - I have every faith that this has been thought about a little more than just offering poor solutions.

Try turning of shadows and running just the vector renders.

Works for me.

Cheers.

Posting a plan that demonstrates the problem would allow others to try it on their system.

Its not the plan - its settings in the preferences. So its a method thing - not the actual model.

Something that experience now tells me.

Had no offers re this feedback.

I sent my plan ( as you suggest) originally to support at CA - they offered very little other that FAQ's.

I've sorted it out myself - for 512 k of iMac video - I now don't use live shadows and only use vector simple rendering and select "final view with shadows" 

when I need the rendered image during presentation only.

Backdrops also slow things down - it seems. ( although vector views make things easier )

All good now. (so far)