Importing HD Pro into Revit

kristinlindberg

Contemplating purchasing Revit for new office- Have older version but considering the newer since we utilize Autodesk software in our office. However, I am preferring HDPro over Revit. Our old Revit crashes frequently and I've not experienced similar issues with HD Pro. HD Pro is "customer friendly" in the sense that I can show them changes much faster, which they like.

However, I am NOT a fan of the renders HD Pro generates.

Has anyone had luck designing with HD Pro and importing into Revit to utilize mental ray and the "new" Raytracer?

ETA: We are using Home Designer Pro (2016) on our laptops and loving it. Faster, etc. Eventually we want to get Chief Architect Premier, but I can get an upgrade package from Autodesk cheaper right now.

Chief Architect products, including the Home Designer titles do not play well with others. You can export as a DXF -- have you tried that?

I'd suggest a single copy of Premier if all you need is the ray tracing. Use and learn Pro, have Premier available for as needed use. 

You will usually get special upgrade pricing when the next version of the Chief products -- normally in the first quarter, and they will give you a credit for Pro.

You might ask over at ChiefTalk too, where you will find users familiar with the products in question.

Revit is natively a 3D program like Chief and Home Designer  but in terms of 3D their files are not interchangeable except in terms of 2D exports and imports, Revit can import 2D dxf files and like Chief Premier,once imported as 2D data (line entities) you would then have to use either Chief's or Revit's 3D tools to trace over the 2D import to bring it to life as a fully 3D model. 

I think you would be better served to go with one or the other (Revit or Chief Premier); really learn and master the one you end up with. Nothing is "perfect" in every way but both programs are quite capable in learned hands.

DJP