BRUCEBAUMGARTNER

I would suggest that the ribs on a container are akin to studs -- you just need to determine what size and at what center distances they are then create a wall with no external skin.  I don't know if in HD Pro you can change the stud sizes or centers -- I'm sure someone will chime in on that. If that is not possible then perhaps use the railing wall where you can change things.

Alan

• 4 months later...

I'm intending to use CA Home Designer Architectural to design a cargotecture home using (the extremely standardised) containers. It seems to me that at the moment C HDA does not support the particular features cargotecture offers. It would be a great addition. This is specifically in relation to foundation requirements, structural re-inforcement requirements when altering container walls, etc.

Looks like it's back to drawing by hand...

As has been suggested you take an existing wall type from what the program has and edit it to emulate the thickness of the intended container wall, the outer most layer would be assigned a texture file that looks like ribbed steel ( you will have to search the net for such a texture or make it yourself and bring it in as a custom material).

In order to emulate the steel ceiling you will need to program the container "room" to have "No ceiling over this room" and emulate the ceiling with a sized soffit the right thickness with your exterior texture applied to it and another soffit under it to emulate the interior ceiling (these two soffits would be sandwiched, one on top of the other so inside you could see finished ceiling and outside you see metal finish.

You are right in that a drawing board, pencil and eraser might be easier, it is up to you.

DJP 

I'm intending to use CA Home Designer Architectural to design a cargotecture home using (the extremely standardised) containers. It seems to me that at the moment C HDA does not support the particular features cargotecture offers. It would be a great addition. This is specifically in relation to foundation requirements, structural re-inforcement requirements when altering container walls, etc.

Looks like it's back to drawing by hand...

I've never heard the term "cargotecture" before, and I'm not sure if there is a design program out there that might cater to that style better, but you can at least try posting in the "Suggestions" section of the forum to get it added to the list of feature requests that the company people maintain.

All is possible if you contemplate the outcome required..... but after all is said - its still just a shipping container isn't it?

3D warehouse?

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=a67443d422a5738aa1ca91a693e94af7

OMG.....what have I done.

Not really . . . you can't add windows/doors/etc or change wall/flooring materials etc to a static symbol like this, that's why having the right walls type definitions/floor and ceiling structure etc are going to be important.