Has anyone ever managed to overcome the moving dimension arrow "problem"...

Keith_K

...yet?

The problem being that when closing a plan and the re-opening it again the point of the dimension arrow has moved from the inside of the particular room to the inside of the room next to it.

I raised this a long time ago on the old forums and at that time there was no solution.  Support suggested that I lock the dimensions but the problem is that I am constantly changing room layouts and sizes and I have to unlock and re-lock every time I make a change.

My Office Block plan currently has 106 rooms rooms with more to come and it really is a pain to have to check each one to find those in which the pointer has moved.

Surely it's not beyond the scope of experts in software writing to be able to fix this or to suggest a cure so that the pointers stay in the actual room they are meant to be measuring?

post-52-0-59098300-1404646591_thumb.jpg

When you ask this question here (of end users) I would expect end-user type answers though your question seems also aimed at the software's makers as a complaint or pointing out an error.

I use this software to draft plans with, it is not perfect to nine decimal points and any software is merely a tool. When dimensions do not go or stay where I want them, I correct them manually.

The number of times I have placed a dimension point and it moved from that point is annoying but in my experience not prevalent or constant. On large, detailed plans one must check and recheck them before printing. That has not changed since I started nor do I expect it to ever change in terms of personal responsibility  for any end products or outcomes I create for others.

DJP

the walls in your image Keith have reversed layers by the look ?  ,ie upper wall has "exterior layer" at the top but the opposite on the lower wall , that may effect things depending on how you have Dimensions setup to "Locate" in the Plan Defaults and whether "both sides of wall" is set for interior walls.

M.

You were right about that particular wall type, Mick.  The odd thing is that it also happens sometimes to the solid grey wall you can see in my initial attachment which only has one layer (see first attachment below).  Yet when I do a "reverse layers" on this single layer wall it also corrects itself.  :o   But I have now learned what to look for when it happens in the future and the solution was supplied by an end user without my having aim it at or complain about it to anyone else.  Which is what I thought these forums were all about.

My dimension defaults are as pictured in the second attachment below below.  I wait for the wise and the experienced to tell whether they are right or wrong.  ;)

post-52-0-95617500-1404857021_thumb.jpg  post-52-0-13339700-1404857063_thumb.jpg

AFAIK it Dimensions to whatever IT considers the Main side (Layer)  which can be set in the Wall DBX with the checkboxes and radio buttons

it also takes into account the options in the Defaults>Dims>Locate as shown , you currently only have it dimensioning the main side ( above comment) and to the Drywall (GIB) surface on it , not the framing.

you could have it dimension both sides of interior walls with the checkbox provided....either to the framing or to the drywall depending on the Main Layer / Surfaces boxes.

Mick.

• 1 year later...

Keith, you mentioned locking and unlocking dimensions.  A) I'm a newbie trying to learn the software and B) I have been looking at the forum's and user guide to resolve my issue.  I don't want to hijack this thread but can you show me how that is done?  Can it be done to individual dimensions etc. Thanks

Sorry for the delay in replying but I don't log in every day. :)

You can lock and unlock dimensions by going to Tools>Display Settings>Display Options.  If you right click in the column under the "Lock" heading and opposite either manual or automatic dimensions (or both) the dimensions will be locked.  Note that this is all dimensions.  As far as I know you can't do it individual ones.  To unlock again all you do is right click on the gold lock symbol.

In the centre column of the Display Options you can also check and uncheck things you don't want to see while working on your plan.