convert old 3D Home Architect library

SAILOR139

I don't want this question to languish.

There used to be a way to migrate those files, and I did that from 3D Home Architect to HDPro 8 or 10 (i don't recall correctly which because it was a long time ago).  I suppose once that migration occurred, one could export the library items from the intermediate HDPro software and then import them into a more modern version.  The issue is that library items have come over the years in several different file formats, and the original file format is no longer directly compatible with or recognized by the newer software versions.

Unfortunately, I can't recall how I did the original migration; it had something to do with copying a folder (in the Windows environment) from one location to another.  I'm getting too old and my memory isn't what it used to be.  There also used to be a knowledge base article (or was it in the reference manual?) on how to do this, but I'm sure it has since lapsed into obsolescence with newer software versions.

All I can suggest is keep looking, and if you have the intermediate software resources, you may be able to find the solution.

Good luck. :)

If you have Home Designer Pro and If the library files are in .alb format (Library files were in that format when I first used 3D Home Architect in 1994), they can be imported/converted using the "Convert Legacy (.alb) Library files" command found under the main toolbar under "Library". I am not sure this command exists in all 2016 titles but it does exist in Home Designer Pro (I looked).

DJP

Thanks,  I was able to bring in the old future symbols but not in 3D.  I was a little  surprise that Chief Architect down graded their package when it came to the libraries.  I would thought they would have improved them over a 20 year period.

If you are aware of any funiture libraries that are as robust as the orginials I would appreciate the name of the web site.

Thanks again.

The libraries aren't "downgraded" - There are more, better symbols in the current version than there were in the old programs (and I remember 3D Home Architect was in the days before even ALB files so David's suggestion wouldn't work anyway), so maybe you just haven't downloaded the core, bonus and manufacturer catalogs yet, if your Library Browser is empty. See this Knowledge Base article to learn more.

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00048/downloading-additional-library-catalogs.html

• Upvote 1