Too simple...too complicated...which one is for me Architect or Pro

3puttking

I've been building 30 years...I do not have time to sit at a desk and draw up plans because building is where I make money.  However, there are times I do need to submit a building plan to the town for simple additions....like the one my wife wants me to do at my house.  I've tried software over the past 20 years and have found, it's either too simple and made for a homeowner to oooohh and ahhhh over a 3D walk through with no dimensions and or ability to get plans or way to complicated requiring 6 months of full time training giving me too many options.

I've played with the trial version of HD Suite....I can't seem to get the plans out of that version that the town is going to like.  I'm virtually positive the HD PRO will do it, but at $500, It's not going to happen.  Which leads to the architect version, which certainly sounds like it should give me an architectural plan that will make the town happy....any thoughts? 

Yes, yes yes, I know there's a chart with what the comparisons are.  Here's my laziness kicking in and why....when I downloaded Trial version of HD Suite, my original laptop didn't have a big enough graphics card...so while laptop handled my business and what I do on my computer fine, it didn't run the HD Suite pgm....so I bought a new laptop just to run pgm....so I downloaded Trial version on new laptop...spent 3 hours inputting dimensions and building new kitchen..AGAIN

This time...3D graphics were a dream...layout...the whole 9 yards until....wife walked in and said "lets go the movies.....NOW!"  so we went to the movies...when we got back, I went back to tinker with drawings to find out if it would give me the plans, and elevations, etc. etc. and lo and behold....

The new computer updated the new system files, turned itself F@#$ing off and back the @$@ on and poof there went my trial version plans with all my carefully dimensioned rooms and whatnot.  So....what I do know, is that I liked the software and how simple it was to use...what I don't know is if i'm going to get drawings to submit to my town (elect, plumbing, framing, foundation, insulation, etc.) before I enter my dimensions for a third time...

Hello,

Thank you for the question and welcome to the user forum.

The answer to your question about which version is capable of producing acceptable plans for your project depends on the minimum requirements of your local building department for the scope of the project you are planning.  For example, you will need to find out if your building department has a minimum paper size and/or scale requirements.  Home Designer Suite and Architectural versions are capable of printing to scale a maximum paper size of 12" X 18".  The Home Designer Pro version can print to scale up to a maximum paper size of ARCH C 18" X 24".  Also, the Pro version is the only product in the Home Designer line that has a separate functionality for easily creating blueprint layout pages. 

Note that many building departments have different requirements depending on the scope of the work (new, remodel, addition), and if the plans are created by a professional or homeowner, so this may play a role in what you can submit.  It sounds like you have lots of experience in the industry, so perhaps I am giving more detail than necessary.

Feel free to contact our sales department.  We would be happy to help you work out what would best suit your needs.  You can call 208-292-3400 or email sales@chiefarchitect.com

Kind regards,

Derek

Chief Architect Sales

Thank you Derek...spoke with sales dept who have answered a number of my questions.  I'll try the architect version......although I know I'll end up with the Pro Version.  Appreciate you getting back to me, and look forward to using the software. 

3 putt KING

The main limitation built into Home Designer titles is print paper size. The largest Architectural will print to is 18" x 24" which should be fine for most smaller remodeling projects. Home Designer Pro offers even more functionality in terms of roof design and laying out printed plan pages. From what I have read of you, you will quickly outgrow Architectural or Suite and want Pro.

DJP

• Downvote 1

Thanks Dave.  I've ended up with the architect version.  It's going well and more or less doing what I want.  There is one glitch that has just occurred, and I can't seem to figure out where it came from and what caused it.  I've got my floor plan, cabs, soffits, virtually everything down to my coffee maker.  I'm not sure what I was doing, but for some reason there is a stripe of the graph scale blocks that have disappeared. I'm fully aware of "Tools">"Display Options"> checking the box to remove views that get in your way.  The "graph scale squares" missing, extend beyond my plan drawing and go all the way up to the top of the page.  It's as if I drew in a soffit that extended beyond my exterior walls to infinity.  This "hides/covers" my upper and lower cabinets along one wall.  The cabinets exist in the camera mode, so they are there.  What's also strange is my "dimensions Lines" on the outside of the house remain intact, without being obscured.  The graph/scale lines are obscured all the way to the top of the page.  Don't know if I've explained this properly, but I've tried in the "display options" removing all the check boxes, and adding the layers, one by one.  Isn't fixing it.

Thanks,

Matt

Would also love to know how to build a breakfast bar peninsula that is 40" tall.  My kitchen is "U" shaped with one leg of the "U" a peninsula, and cabinet 36" finish height.  Want to add 18" overhang at 40" tall for bar stools overlooking the countertop.  Can't seem to build a single interior wall less than full height.  Once I get that done, how could I add a countertop?  I could make a real skinny cabinet & dimension my countertop overhang.  I'm pretty sure I'm not the first person to do a kitchen bar stool countertop.  Any help would be appreciated.  OK cabinets and graph paper returned...not sure why...not sure if it was something I changed.

• 3 years later...

Just want some clarification. I am debating Home Designer Architectural vs Home Designer Pro. I am planning a complete design and build of a new home with a garage attached by a breezeway. I am planning on designing and building the home completely on my own, but I do need to submit plans for approval and to obtain the building permit.

Home Designer Architectural can print detailed blueprints/plans that would be used on site to build off of? But is limited to 12"x18" paper size?

Therefore the only benefit, w.r.t. printing, for HD Pro is the ability to print up to 18"x24"?

Thanks,

Ben

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2015 at 9:14 PM, 3puttking said:

I've been building 30 years...I do not have time to sit at a desk and draw up plans because building is where I make money.  However, there are times I do need to submit a building plan to the town for simple additions....like the one my wife wants me to do at my house.  I've tried software over the past 20 years and have found, it's either too simple and made for a homeowner to oooohh and ahhhh over a 3D walk through with no dimensions and or ability to get plans or way to complicated requiring 6 months of full time training giving me too many options.

I've played with the trial version of HD Suite....I can't seem to get the plans out of that version that the town is going to like.  I'm virtually positive the HD PRO will do it, but at $500, It's not going to happen.  Which leads to the architect version, which certainly sounds like it should give me an architectural plan that will make the town happy....any thoughts? 

Yes, yes yes, I know there's a chart with what the comparisons are.  Here's my laziness kicking in and why....when I downloaded Trial version of HD Suite, my original laptop didn't have a big enough graphics card...so while laptop handled my business and what I do on my computer fine, it didn't run the HD Suite pgm....so I bought a new laptop just to run pgm....so I downloaded Trial version on new laptop...spent 3 hours inputting dimensions and building new kitchen..AGAIN

This time...3D graphics were a dream...layout...the whole 9 yards until....wife walked in and said "lets go the movies.....NOW!"  so we went to the movies...when we got back, I went back to tinker with drawings to find out if it would give me the plans, and elevations, etc. etc. and lo and behold....

The new computer updated the new system files, turned itself F@#$ing off and back the @$@ on and poof there went my trial version plans with all my carefully dimensioned rooms and whatnot.  So....what I do know, is that I liked the software and how simple it was to use...what I don't know is if i'm going to get drawings to submit to my town (elect, plumbing, framing, foundation, insulation, etc.) before I enter my dimensions for a third time...

Speaking strictly for myself, I believe Pro to be the best tool of them all. I was thinking of ultimately choosing Essentials, but I soon realised that the best fruit I've picked have always been the ones that were cultivated with the most care and time. Pro offers the most comprehensive tools and is the fairest deal, price wise. Granted, it's not the easiest program to use, but if take the time to learn how it works, the rewards will be worth the time spent. Already, I'm finding this out. I only practice a little with it a day, but already, I've learned how to create the exterior and interior walls, I'm now familiar with how to drag and drop items, how to navigate the catalogue and use the room cameras instead of the full panoramic views for easier room to room inspection.

For reforms and new ideas alike, Pro offers the widest choice of design elements. An open mind is built on the principle of having the most useful means at your disposal. In my eyes, HD Pro offers them.

All my successes, my best electrodomestics and televisions, my screenwriting and my choice of computer have all been well worth my investments because I chose the highest tier items available at the time. My low points always came when I chose less than them, because for me, they didn't offer me the more developed and progressive tools to achieve my aims,  nor did they have the practical or interesting features that I was looking for.

This is why I chose Pro. I might not rent it long enough to permenantly own the license, but I will make use of the software for as long as I can, to design my fictional scenarios and to better understand the ones I read in literature. Also, consider that renting to own Pro, even for a time, will give you credit that you can use to earn a discount from Pro should you with to eventually buy it. 

Of course, to each his or her own.

Question: Does Chief Architect Home Designer Pro allow import of DWG (AutoCAD Files)?

I have a lot of drawings in AutoCAD that includes a partial design done for a home remodel. The AutoDesk Architectural program which I downloaded as a trial version can be leased for $590 for three months or $1575 per yearly subscription.

Taking into account all the possible functions, Chief Architect would be the best choice, if you can divert 2% of your income after tax to renting the program monthly on a decent salary. The elite programs are always the more dear, but as the company behind Chief Architect has demonstrated, there are always answers or alternatives that can accommodate even the most enonomic of architects or home users. Of all the companies that offer home designer software, this one is the more flexible in terms of value and quality. Others may be cheaper, but they are not as comprehensive as Home Designer, I have personally found. 

• Like 1