Box for Indirect lighting

TomGriff

I am trying to figure out how to model a box structure on the celing to contain indirect lighting. A soffit with a gap between it and the ceiling seems like it should work, but I can't figure out how to extend it into the middle of the room. Curiously enough, they seem to like to follow walls. I've attached a pic showing what I'm trying to do. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

post-4588-0-14390000-1445999675_thumb.jpg

Got it. It was just a matter of figuring out how to manipulate the soffit.

Now, is there a way to place lighting in the gap between the soffit and the ceiling? I can imagine how it would look, but it would be nice to see it.

Thanks,

Tom

I did see some fluorescent light strips in the library, but haven'e had time to play with them yet. That may be a possibility.

I did get two soffits modeled up perpendicular to each other and it looks great except for a gap where they meet. They appear to join up in the plan view but there is a distinct gap in 3D that I can't seem to repair.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Well it took a while, but I think I have it figured out. The soffit issue was fixed by deleting them and recreating them outside of the plan. Then I just dragged them in, positioned and resized them. It worked great. The lighting effect is just 3D spot lighting pointed up (90º) with a spread angle of 170º. There appears to be a limit on how many lights can be added before some of them don't work. I still need to play with the height a bit. Right now the bottom of the soffits are 104" off the floor and 10" high, under a 10 foot ceiling. A 6" gap is a little tight for painting and changing lamps.

Thanks for the help,

Tom

post-4588-0-69889700-1446120299_thumb.jpg