Frieze boards

jrubis

Go to solution Solved by jrubis,

I am looking to add Frieze Boards to my design on a few gables. I have seen suggestions to use slopped soffit but I have been unable to get that to work. I am using HD Pro 16. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW I think this would be a great topic for a short help video; based on the number of times people have asked about it.

Standard angled soffits used as a frieze board are fairly straight forward. I was not able to apply molding to the soffit in this position as you would need to do in some cases. I'm guessing this is a Chief Architect feature and not included in the Home Designer titles.

I have attached an example plan. 

post-171-0-85761400-1445910940_thumb.jpg

as 1.plan

Thanks. It appears the objects position as indicated by an outline is actually different from where it is rendered. Is this correct?

Also, are you calculating the HL HBF and HFF values or is that done by placing the object in the 2d or 3d view? I cant get my head around the HL attribute value. Seems to rotate and change the angle of the object.

I placed those in a camera view, but plan view really works better.

Place a soffit along your gable wall. You can be on the attic level, or below. 

Open the soffit and select Sloped Soffit. Take a look in 3D -- you may need to rotate it so the angles are correct. Rotating is best done in plan view.

Open it again and select Place Under Roof. That will change the slope to match the roof. 

Change the dimensions to suit. 

In an elevation view, drag the ends into position and move it up or down as needed.

Once you have one side done, copy and reflect about the centerline of the gable to get the other side.

You should not need to calculate any values, and the outline will show where it is, and the size in plan view, but it cannot show the angles, so it may not look as you expect in a camera view.

It helps to have a plan view and a 3D view open at the same time -- split screen or 2 monitors, so you can see the changes as you make them.

OK. It appears if there is another roof line directly below the roof you are attempting to place the boards on (including any roof returns), the "place under roof" option will place the boards under that roof. Not what is intended. It took me a while to figure that out. Every time I selected the place under roof, my board seemed to disappear! It was because it was being placed under the front porch roof and I couldn't see it! Not sure if there is a way to make this option work or if I will just need to do some manual calculations and settings...