creating a new CAD layer in HD pro

PeterMaine

There appears to be only one CAD layer in HD Pro and Help and search does not seem to help me.    That Cad layer is cluttered from an imported PL1 file I used as a template when my old Chief 8 program died in the middle of construction.   How do I create a new Cad layer for a radiant loop plan?  Thanks,   Peter

As far as I know, HDPro only has one layout, and that is one of the limitations of the software.  The much more powerful (and expensive) Chief Architect X-series allows creation of new layers and multiple layouts, but that option is not available to Home Designer titles.

Elovia is correct there is only one Layout page to send too PER PLAN  , and that is the trick just make a separate plan for each detail you need.  Just use the File> SAVE AS DBX to save the open plan as  for eg My Plan_Radiant  ,then you have all your walls etc as needed , add your Radiant ,save , and send to layout ........you may end up with multiple "Plans" per home depending on how many details you need , just do the save as for each one and only use that plan for that.

The downside is that each time you make a change on the MAIN PLAN , it does not automatically update the other plans or layouts. (Unlike Chief)

If you don't need the old " Template Data "  why not delete it ?  perhaps do a  "save as"  1st of the existing plan as OLD TEMPLATE DATA , so you have a copy if needed. 

Mick.

• 1 month later...

It seems like user-defined layers are exclusive to the Chief Architect products.

I would make a strong request that the developers find a better way to differentiate it's pro-sumer and pro software packages.  Limiting the layering and grouping in something like HDP is a really poor choice, and really at odds with some of the other very sophisticated things HDP can do.  I have incredible control of so much minutia, and yet I can't create a simple layer to store related objects (architectural or CAD, created or imported) to turn on and off, lock or unlock, etc. 

Layering and grouping (basic functions found in most all graphics applications) are so fundamental to doing any kind of design work, it honestly shocked me when I finally figured out that there was only one, fixed layer for importing CAD elements.  I understand it's a marketing choice to cripple software into different price-point levels; but this choice is really too crippling.  At the very least, offer a few user-defined layers in HDP; having to mix things like imported TOPO data and my Sketchup-designed timber trusses makes absolutely no sense.

- Mark

It has always been a problem with Pro , perhaps Chief Lite might work better for you ? it seems you are a pretty advanced User.

M.

Edit : might have to take that back :)   for what you lose for the only $700 saving over Chief it may not be worth it....I thought the discount was better but having Pro you do get the $500 rebate , though not sure if it applies to Lite too ?  if not it would be a no brainer to go with X6 Full.

Lite does not do Ray Tracing , so depends on whether you want or need that ? comparison here

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/compare.html

• 1 year later...

Creating custom layers and placing objects on them is still not available in Pro (this definitely seems intentional on the company's part to limit the program so I wouldn't really count on it changing any time soon), although the Chief Premier version does have a monthly rental option now that may work for you (it looks like Lite was discontinued in X7).

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/software-rental/