house plans done in Windows XP

wyosue

It has been a while since I have been on this Forum. When I first used Home Designer Pro 8 my computer had Windows XP Pro. I just got a new computer with Windows 7 and cannot open my files from my old computer. One of them is called Existing House but it might be one that I sent to someone on the Forum. I was trying to design a new Sewing Studio in 2006 but was not able to get it done at that time. When I try to open things I get the Adobe Reader screen but the file is not listed.  When I click on Start> Acrobat Adobe DC> things are listed but I cannot seem to open things.

I am trying to see if I can change our garage in to my computer/sewing room and add another garage and want to use the Existing House layout so I don't have to start from scratch. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Sue in Wyoming

Sue's Sew EZ Designs

Home Designer Pro 8

Windows 7 Pro

Desktop computer

Did you install Home Designer on the new computer?

Can you locate your plan file on the new computer? Should be name.plan (replace name with whatever you called it).

Not sure why you are using Acrobat. Are you looking for a PDF file?

Eric,

Yes Home Designer is on my new computer. When I try to open a file it comes up as a PDF file--the only thing I can think of is when I was trying to post something here or email it to someone. When I try to open plan/layout at the bottom is says Plan Files (*.plan,*.pl1) I can find one zipped folder that says open with Windows Explorer. The other ones say jpg file Opens with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC with a change button but does not give me a choice for opening with Home Designer.

Thanks,

Sue in Wyoming

Sue's Sew EZ Designs

Home Designer Pro 8

Windows 7 Pro

Desktop computer

Eric,

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow. I will try to find more files but not sure what extenstion to look for. I know I had more files and folders. Do you know how long posts are kept on this forum? I had to create a new account because I could not be found.

Thanks,

Sue in Wyoming

Sue's Sew EZ Designs

Home Designer Pro 8

Windows 7 Pro

Desktop computer

Eric,

Thanks, I found some of my old posts. Everything that was posted by me and others were jpgs.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks,

Sue in Wyoming

Sue's Sew EZ Designs

Home Designer Pro 8

Windows 7 Pro

Desktop computer

You can reinstall Windows XP and have it along with Windows 7, all you need is an additional hard drive for XP to be installed in. I have XP installed on a separate hard drive so I can run legacy software back to Chief Architect Version7 and Home Designer versions back to six.

DJP

David,

I tried that a year ago when I got my laptop and it did not work--maybe it was because I did not have an extra harddrive on my laptop. I will ask my computer guy if he can do that for me.

Thanks,

Sue in Wyoming

Sue's Sew EZ Designs

Home Designer Pro 8

Windows 7 Pro

Desktop computer

David,

I don't know if you can answer this question but I have been trying to figure out how I could add a sewing/computer room on the ground level. Right now it is in the walk-out basement. It seems to be the only option I have now is to make our garage my sewing room and add a new garage to the west of the garage right now with the garage doors facing to the south instead of the west. Right now the gararge is 21' 6" by 27' 6". I think I could add 12' to the length and make the new garage 26' by 21'6" but that would make that side of the house about 54' long. I want the end result to be aesthetically pleasing so I guess am asking if there is an easy way for me to draw things out since I cannot seem to get my previous layouts and plans to open now. I have tried to add 2 jpgs so I hope it works.

Thanks,

Sue in Wyoming

Sue's Sew EZ Designs

Home Designer Pro 8

Windows 7 Pro

Desktop computer

post-4539-0-30545800-1445708120_thumb.jpg

post-4539-0-46062100-1445708216_thumb.jpg

Eric,

Yes, the house faces west? I would add 12' to make the garage for my sewing room and that would make the size approx 40' x 22' then add another 26' with (2) 10' garage doors facing south. Actually the finished length would be more like 66'.  I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Sue in Wyoming

Sue's Sew EZ Designs

Home Designer Pro 8

Windows 7 Pro

Desktop computer

That's a really simple plan -- why not just redraw it? You would not need the basement and all the interior, just the outside walls and roof.

I'd go to the side if you have the room.

Adding so much in front of the house will look odd, I believe.

post-171-0-28610500-1445717059_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-28774000-1445717096_thumb.jpg

Eric,

That is the way I had it 4 years ago when I was going to do this--long story short--x-builder friend did not want to do it. Took me over a year to get the design the way I wanted it and my husband said he was getting too old for a large remodel. We live in a small town and do not have many choices. I guess I thought this one would be much smaller--probably not :( But I too think going out like I want would be too long. I wish I could pull up my design because I thought it looked pretty good.  Thank you for your input. 

Thanks,

Sue in Wyoming

Sue's Sew EZ Designs

Home Designer Pro 8

Windows 7 Pro

Desktop computer