Bay Window Limitations?

jjbNana

I am beginning to regret not spending a bit more for either the Architect or Pro versions of HDv7, as I'm getting confounded at almost every customization I'm trying to include in my HDSv7 recreation of my home. Here's another I suspect is a limitation of my Suite version. Here goes... In my breakfast nook area, beside the kitchen (separation bounded by an invisible wall (room divider), there is a custom-built bay window with a projection of 2' to smoothly meet the exterior wall of the 2nd floor, and has an exterior horizontal length of 7' 5" from the foundation supported exterior wall. The interior seat is the floor, and the top is at ceiling height, It seems very well-built, in that there are no seams or settlement cracks in the interior hardwood floor, nor the walls or textured ceiling (home was built in 1986 - and there have been some sub-magnitude 2.5 quakes over the years - atypical for southern Maryland).

Each of the 3 double hung 31"x56" windows, starts at 24" above the seat/floor. Based on the exterior length and projection, the center window has more wall than the others, yet is nearly perfectly symmetrical. When I use the handy shortcut, built in tool to build a bay window, not only can I not set the dimensions of the windows/walls, I cannot keep HDS from connecting the projection to the foundation (even with "automatically rebuild foundation" unchecked). When I manually build the bay window, I can set the correct dims for the projection, and the windows, but the floor and ceiling cannot be specified to match the rest of that room's materials definitions. The ceiling is drywall, but you cannot define the color without changing something in the default settings dialog, and the seat tends to take on the floor characteristics of the deck at floor level outside. Okay, enough rambling. I still have a "Stairs" thread to generate and post.

Thanks, in advance for your time, suggestions, and assistance.

R/Joe

Did you have a question somewhere in there?  :)

Building the bay manually is the way to go, and there is no reason floor and ceiling to not match the adjoining room. It does not need to be separated by an invisible wall from the rest of the room if floor and ceiling heights are the same.