Building & Terrain Alignment vs Plan View

jjbNana

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

So, I manually laid out the terrain perimeter, defined the bearing directions for each corner (off my plot survey drawing), but did not yet define elevations not sure how to define, but not my biggest worry now).  As I started to layout the walls for the exterior of the house, I found the default orientation of the plan view was not synched with my terrain.  Is there a way in HDSv7 to specify (other than the old trial & error method) the position of the building on the terrain, and rotate the plan view without changing the building's location on the property?

Specifically, the front wall of my house generally faces to the secondary-intercardinal direction East-northeast, as does the front of the property. It is however, a bit disconcerting to work on a plan trying to align new walls precisely parallel or perpendicular to other room walls, when the plan view is skewed roughly 62* front straight up and down. What I've done instead of dealing with an off-kilter plan view, is to completely rebuild the building in a new plan file, and figure out the terrain/elevation later, so it is much easier working with the building aligned to the 4 cardinal directions (N/S/E/W) of the compass in the plan view. Hopefully, the solution is something simple I just overlooked.

Thanks, in advance for your time, suggestions, and assistance.

R/Joe

The mistake you made is to rotate your structure which as you have seen makes 3D modeling a lot more difficult. What is recommended in your Reference Manual (Help - View Reference Manual-Chapter 19 Terrain) is to rotate or create your terrain relative to the house's plan view  of "North" (Up screen) and South" (Down Screen). You can then designate magnetic "North" using a CAD line with an arrow.

DJP

@ David,

Do you have a specific page in chapter 19? I've read every word, looked up every occurrence of "rotate" and "plan view" and have found nothing to the effect of what you described.

At any rate, I am beyond using that plan file. I've gotten much farther on the house in the new file I started a week or so ago, and can't go back now. My last remaining task will be to create the terrain after the house is finished and correct. Will I have a problem creating the terrain after the building is complete?

Regards,

Joe

• Solution

This video might help explain what I am talking about. When I made this video it was not then easy to rotate scanned images, that is now, no longer the case. What I show here is how to import and then scale an image for tracing a site plan. The point is I leave the structure where it is and orientate the site plan and resulting terrain to the structure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hncV8yl-ND0

DJP

• Upvote 1