Furniture wood grain direction

scott_v

Wood grain is running the wrong direction on numerous furniture faces.  Is this correctable or just a software limitation?  Unrealistic grain orientation cheapens down the 3D views.  

Is CA Premier wood grain orientation more realistic?

post-4058-0-35813600-1444576654_thumb.png

To do precisely what I think you want to do you would have to make a copy of a material, rotate that material (grain) and then import the rotated material as a custom material. It is true this is easier to do in Premier but can be done in Pro, it just requires a few additional clicks (steps) to do.

DJP

I'm not tracking with you.  From what I can see the Wood Material is not a 3D object rather a finish that is applied to a 3D object.  Are you suggesting that a wood material be applied to a 3D object such as a soffit or a shelf, grain oriented properly, and then somehow that object becomes the dresser top?  

Materials (2D bit map images) can be applied to 3D surfaces but they apply as they appear in the Library Browser only. Computers do not allow objects with the exact same file name ti exist, side by side so in order to get a variation of appearance of a material (rotated grain pattern for instance) one would have to make a copy of a bit map image, rotate that image in an image editing program like Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop. Then that rotated material could then be imported into your Library Browser with a slightly different file name and then applied to 3D surfaces. A wood grain material will always appear to run in a single direction, to have that same material (bit map image) to run two different directions would require two instances of the same material but rotated 90 degrees to the original material. That can only be done by a rotated instance of the original material and that can only be done in an image editing program, not within Pro.

DJP