Wall Issue

English

Go to solution Solved by English,

I have a coat closet on my first floor and all of a sudden I get the same walls on my second floor.  When I try to delete them on the second floor I get the message that says they are auto generated walls but after deleting them I'm left with their outline in dotted.  I went back and deleted the closet on the first floor and created it again -- thinking that now it would not auto generate on the second floor but it still does.  I would add that one wall of the new closet was an extended existing wall which does at generate but the other two are new.  Could this be why the walls show up on the second floor?

Thanks

Alan

Okay I just watched a video and it says that only the external walls auto generate to create the second floor (which is what I did with this project) so I'm not sure why these three interior walls are auto generating -- bug maybe?
Alan

If you have first floor walls in an area that is clerestory, the software will automatically fill in the second floor walls above such spaces unless you set the first floor space to "No Ceiling above this Room" on it Room Specification Dialog- Structure Tab. When you try to delete such walls they of course come back with an error message, so take this as a lesson learned.

DJP

I noticed those walls too, Alan. I deleted them and they went away.

There are inconsistencies in the way the structure has been modeled. View the family room with a full camera, paying attention to the crown. Notice that it does not go completely around the space.

The image shows an area in the dining room as an example.

You have built the porch from parts, but it's not a room. If you gave it a room type of porch, you would get the option of a ceiling -- which it lacks, and the option of a slab, etc. 

I'd suggest that cleaning up the structure will give you a better model, and go a long ways in preventing things like the duplicated walls.

post-171-0-08884900-1443573095_thumb.jpg

Eric

I think that is why I cannot change the structure of the spaces on the first floor as it gives me a message saying there are variable height floors on the second floor -- as you pointed out.  I spent two hours looking at all of the rooms on the second floor and found one small area in the RH dormer that I couldn't fix -- so I've basically given up on that as the only alternative is to create a whole new second floor and my contractor is on my back to finish up.  To be honest it doesn't affect the plans. 

Thanks

Alan 

David

I went into the structure of the closet and unchecked the Ceiling above this room box but the walls still appear upstairs.  Not sure where to go from here.  I even made the second floor walls invisible but they still show up on the docs.

Thanks

Alan

Eric

I'm aware of that.  I had the design almost finished and the contractor reminded me of the first floor rough ceiling height of 109.5" and the second floor of 97" and floor joist of 9.25".  I changed the structures in the rooms on the first floor.  I went back and spent hours trying to find where on the second floor the floor joist was not right but in one room I cannot access the structure page.  That is the area that you noted the ceiling was not aligned.  I finally gave up.

The only thing that is stopping me finishing this is that stupid closet on the first floor that is creating walls on the second floor.  The program is not supposed to auto build interior walls -- just exterior ones.  I guess I will just have to deleted the closet when I print the second floor.

Alan

I noticed those walls too, Alan. I deleted them and they went away.

There are inconsistencies in the way the structure has been modeled. View the family room with a full camera, paying attention to the crown. Notice that it does not go completely around the space.

The image shows an area in the dining room as an example.

You have built the porch from parts, but it's not a room. If you gave it a room type of porch, you would get the option of a ceiling -- which it lacks, and the option of a slab, etc. 

I'd suggest that cleaning up the structure will give you a better model, and go a long ways in preventing things like the duplicated walls.

Eric

How does one create a porch out of a room -- make it with walls and then make them invisible?

Thanks

Alan

>> How does one create a porch out of a room -- make it with walls and then make them invisible?

I rebuilt your porch when I was playing with your plan. There are multiple ways. Draw a railing around the space. Railings are walls that look like railings.

Use the Room Divider to outline the space.

Railings can be continuous through columns, so you may place railings, then position columns on top.

You can use a room divider where there is no railing, or make the railing invisible.

Once you have created a room, change the type to Porch.

I also noticed the porch slab is a step down from the interior floor level. Some places this will not meet code.

Post your current plan if you would like me to look at the wall issue.

Go to second floor.

Edit>Edit Area.

Marquee around the entire structure.

Control-X

Go to 1st floor. Open Default Settings>Floor and change the ceiling height and any other defaults as needed.

Go to 2nd floor. Open Default Settings>Floor and change the ceiling height and any other defaults as needed.

Paste>Paste Hold Position

This fixes the first and second floor ceiling heights.

I found when building the second floor the ceiling height and floor c might be wrong.

Example:  Ceiling B 242 7/8"   Floor C 133 3/4" = 107 5/8

Ceiling B 230 7/8" Floor C 121 3/4" = 107 5/8

So you have to figure out which number combination is the correct one.

By marquee you mean use the mouse to box the whole structure?  Let me try that because I cannot gain access to the structure window for that main room at the front to fix the floor joist -- default is 11.625" (I think) and all the other rooms on that floor I changed to 9.25".

Alan

Edit

I did what you said but CTRL x doesn't do anything.

Eric

Not sure what I'm doing here -- trying to get to the right floor heights I guess but all I get when I marquee the floor is just that -- a polyline box with no other options -- CTRL x doesn't bring up any window or any other function.

Alan

Because you are using a Mac, your commands may be different.

Ctrl-X is Cut (copy and delete) -- you are deleting and placing what is deleted on the clipboard. As a test, select any object, Ctrl-X (cut) then Ctrl-V (paste) to put it back. 

Go to second floor.

Edit>Edit Area>Edit Area

Marquee around the entire structure.

Ctrl-X (This will delete the second floor, but you will see a few walls remaining. You must delete the 2nd floor so you may change the first floor settings.)

Go to 1st floor. Open Default Settings>Floor and change the ceiling height and any other defaults as needed.

Go to 2nd floor. Open Default Settings>Floor and change the ceiling height and any other defaults as needed.

Paste>Paste Hold Position (This puts the second floor back, using the defaults just set)

This fixes the first and second floor ceiling heights.

Eric

On a Mac it's Command X to delete and Command V to paste.  I did what you said and deleted the whole second floor (there were four auto generate walls still visible -- changed the ceiling heights and pasted back but I still get a message on the first floor that I have varying room heights on the second floor.  Now I have 6 auto generated internal walls showing on the second floor which the program is not supposed to do.

Also I get messages that say that the floor and ceiling heights of the new rooms is different than the old rooms.  If I select say a bedroom and look at the structure the floor joist size did not change from my defaults.

Also there is only one room on the second floor that I cannot access the structure and that is the room at the front with the dormers.  I spent some time added internal walls in that room to see where the issue was and I finally found a couple of square feet near the outside wall of the RH dormer that I couldn't access its structure and I couldn't see what the issue was.

Alan

Eric

I have attached the plan so maybe you can see what the devil is going on here.  Those auto generated internal walls have me baffled.  I may create a support ticket -- but I have a feeling it's maybe a bug in my drawing file as it never happened when I first started -- just popped up in the last week.

Thanks for all your help.

Alan

Foothills 7660 Franklin Road.plan

Eric

On a Mac it's Command X to delete and Command V to paste.  I did what you said and deleted the whole second floor (there were four auto generate walls still visible -- changed the ceiling heights and pasted back but I still get a message on the first floor that I have varying room heights on the second floor.  Now I have 6 auto generated internal walls showing on the second floor which the program is not supposed to do.

Also I get messages that say that the floor and ceiling heights of the new rooms is different than the old rooms.  If I select say a bedroom and look at the structure the floor joist size did not change from my defaults.

Also there is only one room on the second floor that I cannot access the structure and that is the room at the front with the dormers.  I spent some time added internal walls in that room to see where the issue was and I finally found a couple of square feet near the outside wall of the RH dormer that I couldn't access its structure and I couldn't see what the issue was.

Alan

You must do the first floor too. Follow my instructions and it will work -- at least it did for me on your plan. When you put the second floor back, it resets the first floor to the defaults, which is why they need to be set.

I changed your plan to show 4 decimal places. You had it set to 0, so you were not seeing these numbers.

You can show decimals or fractions, but these are just display settings. Internally the program is using the exact dimension.

Walls and other objects need to be placed with exact dimensions. Draw a wall, then adjust its position relative to a fixed spot. Same with windows etc.

You can easily place a wall that looks to be in the correct spot, but is not, because of how display settings are set.

post-171-0-10575400-1443883723_thumb.jpg