displayed wall length

frazld

Home Designer Pro 2015, Build 16.3.0.59, 64bit

When checking the displayed wall length, I press the wall and 5' appear,
but when I press the 5' to edit the length this value appears 4' 11.9903699002"
I realize it is close to 5' but these discrepency tend to multiply themselves

You can select Edit> Default Settings> Dimension> Dimensions and on the Setup panel, choose to see a + or - after the dimension, or also the ~ approximation symbol if the dimension isn't exact, to give you a visual cue it needs to be changed.

You can also go to the Format panel to set the Accuracy.  By default, it looks the smallest fraction is set to 1/16, so for your example, you probably would want to change that to decimal places instead.

• Upvote 1

If you change it to decimal places , it will show all manual/temp dimensions with 4 decimal places though , which you may or may not like ? though it shows if you are off slightly and I mean very slightly we are talking 1000th's of an inch....

in the above example , just delete the entry and type  5'     though it was already 4'11".9903   (or 97/1000th inch out...)

I change it to 1/4" still the same, appears to just happen when buliding a wall at an angle to the 1st wall

and it changes the dimensions of the 1st wall 'cause I can't get that much accuracy when aligning 2 angled walls

so it makes the 1st wall either smaller or larger.

Is there any way to lock or fix the length of 1st wall so it want be resized?

I read the dimension section, wall section I not seeing anything abt locking wall length.

changing the 1/16th to 1/4 etc , doesn't change the wall length just how it is reported on screen , you will still need to open the box and put in 5' to be 100% accurate. 

Dimensions 'snap" to your grid setting , so this can affect things too IF grid snaps are on.....

I am guessing you are  not drawing the 2nd wall directly off the end of the 1st wall  and it is auto growing to join up , as it doesn't normally change a wall's length if you draw away on an angle. 

try turning on "Show same Wall Type Handles" in   Edit>Prefs>Architectural      ( I normally also have Select room B4 Wall.....unchecked)  this will give you an extra "handle"  (diamond) at the end of the wall , that you grab to continue the next wall -in any direction ,without having to place your mouse to start it.   

you might want to increase the "handle" size in Prefs. too , I use 6  and having start/end indicators on helps too esp, if you are resizing stuff as you can then tell if it is the S or E end you want to grow or shrink. 

M.