Help With a Shed Dormer

English

Go to solution Solved by English,

I need some help with a shed dormer.  I created and Automatic Dormer, changed the roof to Shed but the side walls extend too far into my second floor (see first image).  If I shorten them then there is insufficient walls to close in the dormer.  BYW I had to explode the dormer and make changes as it reverted to a box if I tried to manipulate it unexploded.

Thanks

Alan

post-2501-0-65845100-1443120244_thumb.png

post-2501-0-39288700-1443120262_thumb.png

The section of wall that needs to be split by the roof -- to close in the gap shown but not extend to the floor inside needs to be set as shown in the image.

Pull the roof planes back a bit, break the wall if needed, change the setting, then move the roof planes back.

Check on the inside how it looks.

post-171-0-70047300-1443122502_thumb.jpg

What I said above will work, it's just tricky. This one is manual.

post-171-0-94249100-1443231065_thumb.jpg

I don't understand why an auto dormer will not work. I placed one on the garage, changed the roof to a shed, resized it, then exploded it to change the window.

Looks correct inside and out.

post-171-0-45519400-1443221139_thumb.jpg

Eric

As much as I tried I couldn't get those side walls to cut below the roof plane.  I ended up just extending them for the elevations and cutting them back for the plan.   When I get time I will play around with it some more (and try the auto dormer.

Thanks for your help

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Okay after submitting a bug report for the Cut Walls at Roof Plane I finally understood what that function does and it's not what I thought it would do.   It just removes the vertical section of the dormer side wall below the roof plane.  I was told by tech support that to do what I wanted I just needed to extend the side walls into the building so they are visible in 3D views.  Then to hide them in plan view I need to place a CAD square over the portion of the wall so that it is not visible.  A workaround but does the job.

Alan

Cut wall at roof plane does this.

post-2501-0-75418400-1444596621_thumb.jpg

I need to extend these walls into building so they complete the dormer in plan and elevation views.

post-2501-0-25981900-1444596748_thumb.jpg

and then in plan cover the section of the side walls with a CAD box so they are not visible (in actuality they are built off the roof sheathing so are not visible on the second floor plan.

Hope that makes sense.

Alan