Use DWG file to input elevation points?

JKiddin

I am doing a massive creek restoration and landscaping project on my property, that has many different but very important elevation points. 

I have a DWG file from the surveyor that contains the elevation points, but I have HD Suite 2016 which will not allow me to import them in that format.

Is there another efficient way to get the elevations from that DWG file into my plan? Is it possible to convert to another format, that HD Suite will accept and  insert he elevation points automatically?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Convert the DWG file to a dxf file, then import that converted file and then trace over its contours using Terrain Elevation objects and a terrain plane in Suite. It is unnecessary to duplicate each and every elevation point or line as this tend to make such a complicated terrain object that most PC's and Mac's cannot easily display. Keep it as simple as possible, a gradient change of elevation is created between cogently laid out elevation lines and splines.

DJP 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi David,

I have converted the dwg to dxf but I cannot figure out how to import it into HD Suite 16.

A pic of my options is attached. Import terrain data requires the data to be in comma delimited or space delimited format. Do I have to convert again to something else?

This seems incredibly convoluted for such an obviously needed feature. 

HD suite 16 import options

I am sorry but Suite does not have the ability to import dxf or dwg files. GPS and comma delimited files are text based files which have no relationship to dxf or dwg (AutoCAD type files). You would have to upgrade to Home Designer Pro in order to import a dxf file (my apologies, I misspoke earlier). Suite is a nice program but very limited as to capabilities. Either upgrade to Pro or convert your terrain data to a file format that Suite can handle.

DJP