Sawtooth shed (skillion) roofs

MattandLana

Hello,

I'm new to the forum (first post) so I apologise if my unsuccessful searches have missed this.

I'm trying to create a sawtooth roof, with each roof being a skillion (shed), so that the middle wall forms the high edge of one roof plane and also the low edge of the next roof plane.  

I've read and successfully implemented the excellent Knowledge Base article on multiple shed roofs but can't figure out how to have the middle wall do double duty like this.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Matt

If this is an existing structure you are modeling, could you post a picture?

My guess is that you will need to build separate buildings with a shed roof on each, then with auto rebuild roofs off, move them together. Deleting the extra common wall.

Start by drawing a long space, then break the walls and pull apart to create two spaces. This will insure the walls align when you move them back together.

• Upvote 1

Thanks all for your suggestions.  Sorry for my delay in responding - this is a weekends-only thing for me.

No Solver it's not an existing structure but the image shown in Jo-Ann's post is exactly what I'm after.

The Clerestory KBA method is working for me, except that I'm having trouble getting the elevated bit of wall which joins the two roof pitches to work correctly or at all.  (That is, the wall above the left hand one of the two inner temporary walls.)

Jo-Ann, you've solved it but I don't know how.  I may be not using the forum controls correctly but all I can see of your post is the last 2 lines and two thumbnails.  Tantalising!  

How did you get the wall to draw?

• 2 weeks later...

In the UK we used to call those types of roofs North Lights.  I worked as an engineer at Austin-Morris in Longbridge and what we referred to as the North Works had the same roof structure.  I believe it was designed to capture as much North light as possible but the roof at Austin-Morris faced west - go figure.

Alan