It has been fun along the way but the time has now come...

Keith_K

...to stop buggering around and submit my proposal to the owners of the property.  It doesn't have to be absolutely perfect at this stage and perfections can be made if the proposals ever become reality.

With this in mind I humbly post the plan and, should anyone have the time, ask for any constructive criticism you might have, mainly on the aesthetics of it all given that the actual buildings apart from the two new cottages at the top end of the site are already there and most of the work is cosmetic.  For want of a better word.

It was mentioned in a previous thread that there are three distinct sections all with different ceiling heights so in this regard the default settings can't be applied to the two dwellings at the back of the main block or to the single story section on the right.  They apply only to the front section and the cottages.

Which brings me to an old chestnut.  I am getting the "varied heights in the rooms above" pop-up for the back two apartments.  I have checked and checked time and again but I can't correct it.  I suppose that in the current stage of things this isn't all that important but I would like to know what it is that is different and have attached screen shots of the specs as they stand.  I think it has something to do with the staircase sections (and maybe the utilities gaps between the walls behind them) but whatever I do doesn't fix it.

I also have a problem in getting a espresso machine to sit on top of the shelf in 2D view.  If I look at it in 3D it seems OK but in 2D all you see or the knobs.

Last but not least I tried and tried to get curves on the driveway corners by following the instructions given in the tutorial I printed off but gave up in the end.  I'll just have to live with all the angles.

Once again I would like to thank all of you who have helped me with the difficulties I encountered (or created) at various stages of this project.   :wub:    Your input has been of great help to me.  It looked is if it would be so easy in the beginning...

post-52-0-40897100-1442422243_thumb.jpg post-52-0-23304100-1442422264_thumb.jpg

post-52-0-32045200-1442422285_thumb.jpg

Oaklands - proposed development 05.09.15.plan

Big job Keith.

Looking at the site plan, I wonder where I'll park my second car, or where friends and family will park. Is there enough room to back out of the parking space and turn around?

I might prefer a single exterior finish, or completely different finishes per unit on both the upper and lower floors. Make all the units the same, or make each one completely different. 

In the 2 rear units, how about changing the layout so that the utility type spaces -- stairs, closets etc, are on the inside wall, and the kitchen and living areas are along the outside. Add windows on the outside walls so the spaces have light from 2 sides.

You might check all your stairs. Tread sizes (depth) varies, and I'm not sure one stair will fit its space as drawn after doing a Make Best Fit.

Consider rethinking the kitchens in the front building. They seem too large. In the 2 rear most units in that front building, the extension containing the sink appears unneeded. That space might work as an entry and half bath, for example. The kitchen could move elsewhere.

And a few odd things I noticed.

post-171-0-47516500-1442425622_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-61336900-1442425636_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-53563800-1442425654_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-28895200-1442425745_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-62616000-1442425758_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-87072600-1442425915_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-35792700-1442427715_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-16547500-1442427726_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-72653500-1442428629_thumb.jpg

Thank you so much for your response, Eric.  Just what I was looking for.  :)    I'll comment on your attachments in sequence.

1.  I constantly delete that "thing" but it just comes back again.  However for the purpose of presenting my drawings to the owners of the building I'll just do a screen shot immediately after deleting it and, if matters get carried forward later and more detailed drawings are needed, I'll investigate the cause then.

2.  Floor material corrected.  I don't know why you are seeing some sort of lintel just above the roof ridge.  I don't see that.

post-52-0-82640000-1442507481_thumb.jpg

3.  Corrected but it makes no difference,  I still get the "can't do" message.  I'm not going to waste more time on it now as it doesn't affect anything the owners will see.  If matters get carried forward...

4.  I don't know what I am supposed to be looking for! :)   If it's to do with your comment about the width of the roadway, that has been of some concern to me.  At one stage I had the third carport from the bottom further up and closer to the decking and site edge of the end dwelling.  I'll stick it back there and play around with the roadway again.  For my sins. And stop bragging with your ability to make curves.  You know I can't do it!! :ph34r:

5.  I don't know why you are seeing that.  This is what I see.

post-52-0-23967600-1442507504_thumb.jpg

6.  Changed.  The software doesn't seem to like brick floors on porches because the wood has appeared several times when I was working on the drawings and I've always corrected it.

7.  Corrected.  It doesn't do to take a half wall into the bedroom, does it? ;)

8.  I don't know why you are seeing that.  This is what I see.

post-52-0-71271100-1442507521_thumb.jpg  

I know what you mean about making each unit more individual.  It is what I would prefer as well.  But I also know the owners of the property (I used to work for them).  They won't spend a penny more than they have to on anything and most certainly won't entertain the idea of re-rendering the whole building in different materials if it isn't really necessary.

I do like your suggestion about those rooms.  Perhaps making those areas utility rooms rather than toilets would be more feasible.  I dunno. :unsure:

Thanks again for your input.  It is much appreciated.  I wonder why Mick hasn't popped his head above the parapet?  I hope he's OK.

#4 just shows all one exterior material.

#8 shows the stair after I used "Make Best Fit". It added a tread to the second set of steps, so you may want to double check that your stair is correct. That space is tight at the bottom as is.

Change your porches to have a room type of Porch. You get a room set up to be on the exterior with a concrete floor. 

I might do a to-scale printout, then make some scale cars and drive them in and out. I don't see a good solution. If there were a rear exit, between the buildings, you could make the road one-way.

HI Keith still here  :)   started back at work this week , and straight into a full on demolition for a Large Reno so I've been way too tired at night to do much here this week, especially since my new helper ( the Client) hasn't helped much at all :(  .... I might have to take his Cell off him each morning from now on....

Looks like you have been real busy too....coming along nicely, Are the old buildings at the back being turned into  Apartments?.

Eric has given some good advice , I was wondering about all the different colours too but if that is how they are and they don't want to change then I guess that's their choice.

The Gate and Roads are too narrow  in my way of thinking at only 3m , corners are too tight   ( but not sure where curves are planned.) the other thing that occurred to me was how are they going to see who is coming/going on a one way driveway especially as there appears to be a 6 ft high block wall right across the property for privacy for the Units, you would be 1/2 way thru the gate before you could look into the development and up the Driveway.

The end Unit on the old building could perhaps have the kitchen /bathroom areas flipped and that Unit's Carport be put next to the New Building's RH Unit Carport, perhaps even make it a Dual Carport?  so the Road can be wider.

May have more time on the Weekend , to go into things a bit deeper....

Blimey! It takes a bloody age to log on to Hometalk! :angry: Hi, Mick. Good to see you again. Hope your time off work was a vacation and not that thing in your chest.

I've had a bit of a fiddle with the driveways and this is the end result...

Oaklands - proposed development 05.09.15.plan

post-52-0-25417400-1442651234_thumb.jpg

I've forgotten how to make the road markings appear in 3D. I know you have to make them 10mm high but I can't find where you do it.

Regarding your and Eric's "thing" about the look of the buildings. At present they are all painted a dull yellow. The cladding was my way of giving them some colour and defining each unit.  This is what they currently look like (taken from the 3D image of when I was setting up the project on HD using the 1970s plans). 

post-52-0-76592300-1442651254_thumb.jpg

On a side issue. How do I make the chimney pipes extend to above the roof line. I remember on a previous plan that I dragged them up when in doll house view (or camera) but with the ones I have on this plan when I try that it elongates the actual stove as well. The same happens if I add height in the object specs.

Apropos your thoughts on that staircase, Eric, these are the specs.  The riser height is within the 200 mm maximum permitted by local building regulations.

post-52-0-32912800-1442651274_thumb.jpg

Over here a commercial/industrial redevelopment project will often keep the feel of the original structures. Instead of making trying to make something look residential, they will play up the commercial look. I could see, for example, on your buildings large numbers -- a meter tall, identifying each unit.

Don't know what type of chimney pipe you need, but a round from the library might work.

post-171-0-06040700-1442606673_thumb.jpg

Hi Keith , not a Vacation but that's why I've had more time here   for the last few months but they finally said to go back to work/ live life normally and see how it  goes , good timing in a way as I got a call about a Reno but as they say if you don't use it you lose it  and I am not used to it , especially the rip, tear and bust of Demo.

Eric and I see the odd weird thing but there is obviously a difference in how 2014 handles some stuff , like the corner of the new building ( we talked about that in another thread a few months ago) and the hole above the porch roof on that same building on the RH side.

Road markings are "smart"  ie they need a ROAD to attach too and you didn't used a (polyline) Road ( can use with or without a curb) which is why you don't see them I believe. not sure in 2014 but in 2016/X7 Road Markings have no thickness ( they are basically CAD Boxes with white fill) but they auto adjust to the road height once they "sense" the Road. 

I did notice the "road" you used ,had varying heights and thicknesses , eg some parts are 25 mm high but only 10mm thick   ie they are floating 15mm above the ground...

There is a KBA on doing Road Markings actually :https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00864/creating-road-markings.html

I think you/they should consider communal areas for the storage sheds / carports /guest parking (many families have 2 cars too) to help consolidate those areas and give more   room for wider Roads and larger yards , it should also be less expensive to Build (2) , 3 car, carports than 6 individual ones.  Something like this perhaps.........

post-25-0-94311900-1442701259_thumb.jpg

PS I think Eric meant the cylinder in the Shapes Library