Advanced? roof editing

rfcomm2k

In the attached plan, and referencing the attached picture, I am trying to have the ridgeline become one long ridge instead of the broken up one that it is currently. However I do not want to change any room heights or wall locations.

It seems to me I could simply change the roof plane geometry to accomplish this, but before I try that and make a mess of the plan, I thought I should ask some of you experts about this.

Basically, looking at the picture, I want to push ridge A back to position B so it lines up with ridge J.

Bring ridge G forward to position H to also line up with ridge J.

Push ridge C back to position D and push ridge E back to position F. My goal here is to eliminate the short ridge between line A and the point of lines C & E.

This could also be accomplished by leaving ridge A where it is and moving ridges J and G forward to line up with it. And then adjusting lines C and E as needed to eliminate that short ridge.

Is my idea even feasible?

Anything is "possible" but in the case of your house design, the presence of varying ceiling heights and asymmetric floor plan make the possibility of an Architecturally correct roof system, unlikely. If you really want to simplify the roof lines, then redesign the floor plan so it is more symmetric which will then produce symmetric roof lines. 

Why on Earth are the garage ceilings set to 14' and 18'??? Are you going to house the space shuttle? The house is set to have 9' ceilings, so a major problem, roof wise are the crazy garage ceilings.

I never bother to build framing until my client or buyers is done changing their minds, it is just a waste of clicks (time) to build framing based on an unfinished design. You could smooth out your ceiling heights and by varying your pitches, smooth out the resulting ridge but you would also end up with an ugly, asymmetric house.

DJP

Ceilings are set that tall to accommodate an RV and a hydraulic lift to raise vehicles for repair. It is my Son's home and he has his own plow service and does 90% of the maintenance on the fleet himself. I did mention that I thought the ceilings did not need to be that high but he insisted.

Also David, as you can see in my second post I tried to replace the picture file and for some reason it failed to upload, or at least failed to be seen in the post. Any ideas on that?

https://youtu.be/vwKOBPYGSPQ

Additional thoughts about this design. Detach the garages from the house. Unless your son has no intention of ever reselling this home, it needs to be redesigned for resale in mind and not so ultra specialized design that no one but your son would like. Unless your son is made of money so sanity must also be applied with the future in mind. Build a free standing barn for the equipment and not as a growth on the home.

DJP

Showing the large garage as almost a separate building. Making it plain and with darker colors.

Fancy up the house a bit to draw attention to it.

Have you considered keeping the master and guest bedrooms down and putting the other 2 up? The massing might work, and with a stair needed to the basement, you could stack another stair on top.

post-171-0-00761500-1442518663_thumb.jpg

@ DJP, detaching garages is out of consideration. When everything burned down in June, the insurance settled for just 10% of the home value toward the detached garage because it being detached was considered an out building. Hence the desire to attach it this time.

@ Eric, second floor is undesirable. Am told because it makes house look boxy.