New basement

rfcomm2k

Had house plan just about completed when I was asked to add a full basement under the house.

So I followed the user guide instructions exactly, and ended up with a full basement under the garages, but NOT under the house. This is exactly contrary to what I expected.

What did I do wrong?

Was I supposed to delete the foundation before recreating it? The stem walls for the garage should remain untouched except where they adjoin other rooms of the main house.

Robert, I'm going to give you some constructive criticism, and probably unsolicited advice. After seeing David mess around with your plan on YouTube, I decided to take a look myself. I turned on the "Automatic Dimension" layer and noticed you have a bit of a mess on your hands. My builder only accepts plans with quarter inch fractions on them, anything else is a bit of a headache.  post-45-0-71677600-1442443391_thumb.png I also noticed in your Master Bath that the area where the toilet is located "might" be a little tight. My builder (and again this is only my opinion) never goes any smaller than 3'-0" x 6'-0" Once you're in the room with the toilet, how are you going to close the door? post-45-0-53531900-1442443629_thumb.png You might want to increase the size of your living room windows. They look a little small. Our clients LOVE light and want lots off it! Attached is a example of the amount of windows some clients ask for. The three windows in under the covered area with transoms are the family room windows. post-45-0-52727000-1442444126_thumb.jpg Again, these are just some observations to help prevent you from having to go back and fix a bunch of mistakes. Take care Robert. 

@ Rosco2017, No, I am not building with these plans. This is primarily to give the homeowner (my Son) an idea of what the floorplan will look like. He is then responsible for taking it to an architect to have it converted to useable drawings that adhere to local code (which I understand is VERY lax where he lives).

However, I am also trying to learn how to use HDP at the same time, and all the valuable lessons from DJP, you, solver, katalyst, kbird, et al is well received by me.

I find that designing a home for a family member, or a spouse can be very challenging. Just today my significant other informed me that we weren't going to build a ranch anymore. We're now going to build a two story home. After a year of planning and redrawing several floor plans, we're back to square one. I started years ago with HDP and found that the program lacked what I needed for the jobs I was doing, and for what I wanted to achieve, so I made the leap, and never looked back :) Couldn't be happier. I LOVE the ray tracing. Have a great night and keep studying and practicing with HDP and you'll be a pro in no time!

post-45-0-08148300-1442547699_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-93051400-1442547699_thumb.jpg

DJP, I tried to reopen your video just now but cannot. Was it deleted?

Anyway, the plan now calls for a daylight basement. 3' concrete below grade, 1' concrete above grade, and 4' wood frame above grade. Then the first floor on top of that. My thought is to delete the existing foundation and redraw it manually using a pony wall defined as described above (4' concrete and 4' wood frame).

Is this the way to do it? Or do I have to insert another floor below current level 1?

Thank you Eric. I tried the KB and searched the articles, but only found how to build a daylight basement. Nothing pertained to ADDING a daylight basement AFTER the whole plan was done.

I will try what you suggest & post the results.