Walls with unfinished sides

BobC_4199

I have a simple question about drawing and using walls where I desire only one side of the wall to be finished. As shown in the attached image, I created a rectangular box in the middle of a room that will enclose mechanical items like HVAC vents, and pipes. The issue I'm having is that HD finishing both sides of the walls with drywall and trim. Other than creating new wall definitions that do not include these items on one side or the other, is there an easy way to tell HD that the enclosed space is 1) not a room, 2) that the walls should not be covered with drywall and no trim, chair rail, crown molding should be applied to these interior surfaces?

Thanks in advance for any help or recommendations.

post-4100-0-86662700-1441929251_thumb.jpg

Home Designer Pro 2016 Build 17.3.1.1x64

Windows 7 

Thank you for your suggestion. I am hoping that there is a better (easier) way. I'm sure that this situation comes up in almost every house so I expected that Home Designer would come with such walls already predefined if changing the wall type was the only solution. Since the program didn't come with these walls already defined, I assumed there was an option somewhere to turn on/off the finishing of either side of a wall.

It's much simpler to do than you think  Bob , it'll take longer to read this than actually do it....

-1) open wall definitions on the Build wall Menu and pick the wall type from the drop down box you want to copy ( eg, interior 4) ,

- 2) hit the copy button , backspace out the Word Copy and put in DWall 1S Only.       ( Drywall 1 side Only)

- 3) Select the interior Dry wall Layer below 

-4)  and choose Delete ,

- 5) then ok to close the Wall Defs. DBX (dialog box)

post-25-0-75970500-1441939548_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-34349300-1441939560_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-82603300-1441939573_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-56399500-1441939592_thumb.jpg

these might help too:

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00382/modifying-a-wall-type.html

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02944/defining-a-new-wall-type-in-x7.html

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for the help. From all the comments I understand that the process of defining an unfinished area is a manual one requiring the creation of single sided wall types for all types of walls that may be used to form unfinished spaces. Not mentioned in the feedback and not illustrated in my example, I expect that I would have to break walls in order to change wall types when what was a single wall encloses both finished and unfinished areas.