different framing centers on same plan?

PeterMaine

My old Chief Architect 8 finally, and decidedly, crashed and burned last week while in the middle of building a new home for ourselves so I just downgraded/upgraded to Home Designer Pro 2015 on a new windows 8.1 computer.  Lots of great improvements but some learning curves too. 

This is probably really simple but I seem unable to get one heavily loaded garage wall to frame out 2x8's on 12" centers while keeping the normally loaded 2x6 side walls on 16" centers.  Two different wall types.   Relatively flat EPDM shed roof on garage will have suspended pavers and serve as patio for home one floor up on steep mountain site, with potential snow loads added.  Any hints as to what I am missing here. 

Thanks,  Peter      

you can define a new wall type with the main layer at 7.5" ( copy siding 6 for eg and change main layer to 7.5 from 5.5) and then change wall types in the Wall DBX might be tough to get 12" centres automatically as I think Build >Framing>DBX is for all walls , so you may need to frame that one wall manually , ie make one stud and then use Transform /replicate to space copies every 12" on centre along the wall. I just downloaded the Trial , not sure if anything changed from Pro 10 to 2015....i'll take a look.

M.

Edit. there is a way but it took almost as long as my manual method for one wall above :) The Wall Framing is can actually be spaced with the LIBRARY MATERIAL assigned to the wall type main layer. so all you need to do is Copy the Fir Stud 16" Material to you User Library , Open the Material and change the Spacing to 12" and rename it Fir 12"OC, then when you Define/make your new 8" wall type as above , assign the new 12"OC material to the main layer (stud), it will then automatically space the framing per the material not the Floor Default ....IF you check the box "Use wall Framing Layer" in the Wall Panel of the Build Framing DBX. Make sure your Other Walls Material for the main layer is set to the Fir 16"OC material not the 24"OC too , mine was defaulted to 24"

lot of "ifs" so read carefully :)

post-25-0-74183000-1403836734_thumb.jpg

Mick.

• Upvote 1

I opened my copy of HD Pro 2015 and the wall framing O. C. is set globally for all walls, Chief Premier is the same but does have a feature where you can reframe a single wall or roof plane mostly manually, so in Pro, I agree with Mick that manually reframing is your choice if you want each stud to show in Plan view. You might consider just annotating the wall framing per wall where the walls are framed differently, wall to wall. Things like wind bracing I do with annotations and CAD Details where indicated. I rarely use any 3D framing as it tends to confuse framers since they are more used to 2D plan, CAD Details and elevation views ayway.

DJP

Yes David the OC is set Globally but if you follow my "Edit" instructions above and create a new 12" OC material and assign to the wall's main layer, and then build the framing with "Use Wall Layer (Materials) Setting "  it will auto frame on 12" centres as seen in the image above.

It seems HD/CA defaults the spacing for 2x4 walls to 16"  and for 2x6 walls to 24"  , so you need to assign those walls the correct spacing too , so when you use the   "Use Wall Layer (Materials) Setting " above your normal walls will frame at 16" OC (if 2x6) too.

once you do this once though you will always have it.....

Mick.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I posted this in the other Chief Architect forum but that was for Pro...   Then I found the correct forum for this.

I just purchased Home Designer Suite 2015 and have run into a bit of a quandary.  I intended to design my rebuild with this software which I am finding extremely useful and quite good to use.  The allowable Wall Choices / Building Methods allows only for predefined Wall-4, Wall-6, Brick-4 etc ..   There is no option / mode for Advanced Framing Techniques which I find rather surprising because not only is it Labour saving but Materials Saving & better for the Environment as there is far less wastage and less redundancies.

According to "Tech Support" this is not an option in anything less than Pro or Chief Architect which of course is a substantial "upgrade cost" for the software.  This is not an option for me as I am within very tight constraints. 

Does anyone have predefined libraries for Advanced Framing Methods which can be added into / used with Designer Suite ?

Can I use the above mentioned method to add in Advanced Framing ?

Other Options ?   Or do I ask for a Refund as Tech Support Suggested ??   (now that is really LAME, great support there !)

Thanks in Advance

Steve

I just purchased Home Designer Suite 2015 and have run into a bit of a quandary...   There is no option / mode for Advanced Framing Techniques which I find rather surprising because not only is it Labour saving but Materials Saving & better for the Environment as there is far less wastage and less redundancies.

According to "Tech Support" this is not an option in anything less than Pro or Chief Architect which of course is a substantial "upgrade cost" for the software.  This is not an option for me as I am within very tight constraints. 

Does anyone have predefined libraries for Advanced Framing Methods which can be added into / used with Designer Suite ?

Can I use the above mentioned method to add in Advanced Framing ?

Other Options ?   Or do I ask for a Refund as Tech Support Suggested ??   (now that is really LAME, great support there !)

Thanks in Advance

Steve

There's a list of features in each of the different programs on the website, under Products select "Product Chooser" . . . , I know it doesn't help now that you've already purchased, but it can be a good reference if you do want to upgrade. 

The less advanced versions aren't really marketed towards people doing construction that need to make changes to framing elements, so if you just want to make a wall thicker or thinner, I believe you can do that in Suite.

I upgraded from an earlier Architectural version (which is in between the Suite and Pro versions) and it had a little more control over wall types, but Pro is the only Home Designer program with any control over framing.

Perhaps after you complete the design in Suite you could post on ChiefTalk and someone there might be able to modify the framing elements you want in the Premier version?

Essentially, I'm using this to design (draw) the plans for a rebuild of our old cottage (foundation up).  As it is a self-design & self-build I have to submit the appropriate drawings to the county.   Fortunately the design is extremely simple, single floor, on concrete crawlspace, simple roof & porch.  It isn't like I am doing this as a pro or designer, just the guy next door trying to keep expenses down. 

While I went through the Feature Matrix I wasn't certain of the terminology and I'm trying to be as cost conscious as I can.  Seems like I have no other option than to "upgrade" for the features & functions I need such as making those adjustments and printing Layouts (blueprints).   Maybe one of the Points on the Selector should say Building & Blueprint Layout Printing capability:  [n], [n],[n],[n],[Y]

I would draw things out myself but I really suck at drawing and all the "details" that are required for building inspectors and all that are well....  

Thanks,

Steve

I don't know if the above technique works in other versions of HD Software , just have to try it, I cant test it.

Even Pro Can't print full size Docs directly , you can print to smaller scale in PDF and then have it upscaled though.   but most City's especially from home owners allow submittal in 11x17 or 12x18 inch too too, do you really "need" Pro though ?

Is the City actually asking for a detailed Framing plan? ( other than the structural plans for beams etc? )  Do they really care if you frame it the traditional way or using advanced techniques? Does your City "Allow" Advanced techniques ? some don't especially in high wind areas..... 

I've already had discussions with our local Building Inspector and I can submit my own plans which I can upscale to 11x17 @ Staples.  Advanced Framing is quite acceptable here and is suggested when possible.  Detailed framing plans are required as I am tearing down to foundation and rebuilding back up...  It's not a reno.  Plus it's a big bonus for me when building it....  Material Lists and the various bits of budgeting are also quite critical for us, as we have a tight budget and can't afford overages or underage's  

I have downloaded the Pro Demo and it appears to do what I need & want but I am going to fiddle around with it a bit...   It's ironic because the next place after this will be built with Stacked Cordwood with log floor joists...  quite a different animal in use & purpose, so I really only need this for this and another outbuilding I want to put up. 

Just wasn't sure you really needed to spend the extra $$$ on Pro , especially for a one off build, wanted you to go in with eyes open.....so....

after reading below see this post too: 

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/114-materials-list/

Pro's Materials list are only as good as the Model they come from and will need a lot of (extra) input to be accurate, ie you need to model it as you would build it , stud by stud, don't assume the Program "knows"  , I brought Pro for use in my Business and have not found it great at all for  my estimating needs.

Here is a small arbour ,12' deep from the wall , 17ft between the posts , and 12'4" up the 2/12 slope for the glass roof......and perhaps some of it is my fault ? but i'll let you take a look at the Materials list. My preferences are set  to Buy List so you would think it would round the lengths up to the nearest "Buy" size  eg 12'6" means a 14' but it doesn't do that, and if a piece is 1/16th different in length it adds another line item. I need (13) 14' (3) 16 and one 18' (or 20') and the 2 6x6 posts.........it gets the posts right :)

Of course it does not model . nails.bolts, screws ,glue,or post saddles etc either.....  I'd hate to think what would be missing on an entire House even a small one.

There is 292 sqft of glass, it says 1315' ?  yes 1315 not 315. at $20-30 sqft that's a big booboo.... ( all pricing must be entered manually BTW if you want Costings.)

there is almost 900 sqft of "invisible" materials ..R3,R4,R5

2 ft of downpipe ?    no 2x10 ft long @ minimum

why the concrete is under exterior trim is a mystery to me....

why the List   "cannot find"  1/2 the 3x8 Rafters is too....

post-25-0-10266600-1404870586_thumb.jpg

the materials list (had to use pic , it keeps scrambling the copy and paste)

post-25-0-04763100-1404870931_thumb.png

I hear what you are saying... I am NOT assuming that this will generate an all inclusive, be all - end all solution...   That would be deluded to say the least.  This provides the essential elements of what I need...  The rest obviously has to be worked out with suppliers and manufacturers.   The obvious costs of Nail, Adhesives, Sealants and such are definitely not going to be included..   The Material List is the basis for the full spreadsheet to which the other stuff get's added to...

Again, I am NOT building some massive 3500 square foot 2 story Cape Cod Bungalow with 4 dormers and a Greenhouse....  < 1000 sq feet simple lines & roof. (box).

Anyways this thread has veered off into something else, the Pro Version Demo which I have downloaded appears to do all the things I need & want and after watching all the available videos on it yesterday & today, I will be upgrading to it.  While it won't be perfect, all inclusive or complete, it is far better than nothing and will allow for the fast layout work I need to do for planning ideas and whatnot.

Thanks for all the feedback

Steve

no problem as I said ,wanted to make sure you're "informed" upfront, since it can't do materials for a simple arbour accurately it seems. Make sure to get the Reference Manual PDF too, lots of reading to do..... it's more extension than the online help in a lot of areas.

Pro can export to Excel which is good for most unlike the other titles where it is text only I think.

M.