Help with Multiple Gable Roofs, seems simple but...

KarenM

Go to solution Solved by solver,

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me with my roof.  I'm using Home Designer Suite 2014.  I basically have a 1 1/2 story rectangle, a 1 story garage connected by a 1 story structure and I'm adding a 1 1/2 story garage connected by a 1 story structure.  I can't figure out what I need to change in order to get the back of the house to draw right - all 3 main structures have gable roofs.

I'm attaching my plan and a photo of the existing house.  What I'm doing is converting the garage to a master bedroom and adding a new garage on the back connected to the house via laundry/mud room.

Hopefully someone can tell me what I need to change to make this look the photo of the existing house...

Right now I can't even think about adding the "steeple" room because when I do my plan gets all kinds of messed up!

Thank you very much in advance.

Karen 

post-4025-0-15558700-1441226937_thumb.jpg

WarrenFarm_After.plan

In order to do this structure in Suite 2014 you must have precise dimensions for the ceiling of the outer porch and also the ceiling height of the church proper as well as all other areas that are to have roofs build over those walls. Settings must be precisely set to get a result. You have to guide the software to a result and that requires precise measurements applied and set in the software model. Guessing at such things is  a waste of anyone's time.

DJP

Start by getting your room heights correct.

Adjust roof pitch as needed. The roof between the bedroom and kitchen is a lower pitch, for example. You can break a wall (with the wall break tool) then assign a new pitch to just a portion of a wall. Make sure the fascia height matches the structure.

Thinking of just the roof, You will need to think about the connector space leading to the garage. I show a roof over the hall and closet which works OK. Anything bigger does not easily work with the existing roof.

post-171-0-77047100-1441231156_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-50322500-1441231718_thumb.jpg

Thank you both for your input.  I corrected the ceiling heights and adjusted the pitch on all of the roof sections.  I also deleted the connection between the garage and kitchen (I'll rethink that as Eric suggested).  It's almost right, I'm just not sure why the roof line is changing at the front of the bedroom...

Also, why does it show the roof section over the bathroom encroaching into the structure it's adjacent to?  

Thanks again!

Karen

WarrenFarm_After.plan

I should have been more clear. On a 1-1/2 story house, the LAST step is raising the 2nd floor ceiling heights.

You will want to get the roof to auto build correctly first, then raise the ceilings.

The master bath and hall bath have different ceiling heights than the master bedroom and hall. 3/8" different, but that's enough to change the roof.

Thanks, Eric.

I think I have it looking almost right.  Do you know why the back upper wall adjacent to the roof is drawing like that (see UpperFloor.jpg)?  I checked all of my ceiling heights and pitches and can't find the problem.  

Also, I experimented with different ceiling heights and roof pitches in the area between the kitchen and the master bedroom and also with different ceiling heights and pitches on the main house 2nd floor and can't seem to get the roof line to be continuous all the around the front as it is in real life.

I was able to get the connection between the garage and house to work by moving the garage a few feet and changing the connection points.  

I appreciate your help, I would not have gotten this far without it.

Karen

post-4025-0-94214700-1441308860_thumb.jpg

post-4025-0-92433700-1441308861_thumb.jpg

Are you working from field measurements, or just guessing at pitch and other dimensions? If guessing, I'd suggest a site visit to gather all the necessary measurements.

You have 3 different pitches, over the large space, over the connector between kitchen, and over the master. These need to be correct in the model for the roof to build correctly.

The fascia height is dependent on several things -- roof pitch, overhang and ceiling height.

The simple solution is to raise the master bedroom/bath area ceilings to force the fascia to align. 

Not sure which wall you are referring to, or what looks wrong.

I'm working from field measurements.  I know that all of the room dimensions and ceiling heights are correct in the main structure.  The master bedroom is currently an unfinished garage space, the dimensions are correct but I'm not sure about the ceiling height since it's unfinished - but it's high.  I'm guessing on the roof pitches, I'm not experienced enough to look at the roof and determine the pitch, but the main house pitch looks pretty extreme to me.  And the area between the master and main looks to be less than 8 in 12.  I raised the ceiling on the master bed/bath and that fixed the continuity issue.

I attached a dollhouse view that shows the problem on the upper level, I marked in the black where the wall should be.  I also attached the plan of my latest version.  At this point it's acceptable, it at least resembles the actual house - but I'm trying to make it perfect! 

Believe it or not this is a house and always has been, someone actually built this house to look like a church...

Thanks again!

post-4025-0-76570600-1441321072_thumb.jpg

WarrenFarm_After1.plan

• Solution

The ceiling is following the roof. 

Easy for me to fix with Pro, but I'm not sure how you would.

The big roof is steeper than 12/12. You might play with the pitch, comparing to the picture.

I would have guessed that was a church at one time. 

Looks like you could have a 3rd floor loft space too.

post-171-0-98308900-1441324995_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-39918600-1441325012_thumb.jpg

Hi Eric,

I just wanted to send a quick note to thank you for your help.  I got the outside of the structure looking almost like it's supposed to.  One of these days when I get better with the app I'll spring for the pro version.

Karen

post-4025-0-99124900-1441808367_thumb.jpg

What the ???  That looks awesome, I obviously need a lot more practice if you did that with Home Designer Suite 2016.  How did you put the top on the steeple?

Sadly, I won't be able to keep the gothic windows.  Who ever originally built this house really wanted it to look like a church, they put in gothic divided light windows with textured glass, they are all fixed glass and you can't see out of any of them.

Thanks Karen

I'm still working on the plan it's at 50mb right now.

Make a third floor, draw a room and center it, make the steeple and third floor ' Open Below' you will see why when you put the windows in

About the windows did you check to see if somebody who does that kinda work can save them for you?