NEWBIE: Arches, Barrels & Radius Furr Downs

DavisR

I haven't been able to figure out how to draw a radial furr down like the attached picture in Home Designer Suite.  If not possible in this software, would it be possible in the Pro version of HD?   Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks for reading! 

post-4020-0-55360100-1441209802_thumb.jpg

Do you mean the ARCHed Window ?

Arched Windows are available in Pro.....

I would suggest you just download the Trial version of Pro and try it out for your needs , you can open any current plans you have even , you just cant save them at all, so leave HD Pro open and Computer sleeping rather than off if you need more than one session to "play"

M.

Did this one this morning.

post-171-0-62330400-1441228127_thumb.jpg

And this one for a thread on ChiefTalk sometime last year.

post-171-0-59706600-1441228149_thumb.jpg

Combine the 2 with a bit more work and you should be able to do what you need.

I'd create a small room with a floor raised to the bottom of the columns. You might choose Balcony as the room type.

The 3 outside walls would be a Pony Wall with the bottom part (where the columns are) as a room divider.

Fill in below the columns with a soffit.

The arch is created with a Pass-Through, placed in a camera view.

To precisely 3D model the window in your posted photograph will require Chief Architect Premier, I do not believe you an duplicate that look using Home Designer Pro, provided you are not a perfectionist, you might be satisfied with Pro but I am certain that Chief Premier can and will get the job done. It is unreasonable to expect a cheap application like Home Designer Pro to do high level 3D modeling.

DJP

Thank you very much Eric! This is exactly the information I needed! Yes, I am primarily needing this capability for representative use (in 3D modeling). For construction drawings requiring radial soffits, colonnades or barrels, I will simply export a dxf and fill in with "old school" AutoCAD - where I can specify precise points. This will definitely suffice till I can swallow the "red pill" and go head first into Chief. I'm crawling before I walk...

Hi David. Agreed, I do not expect perfection. This will more than suffice for representative 3D marketing views. For construction drawings, I will do as always - by provide elevations that specify all relevant reference points and details. This I can do in AutoCAD for the time being. This is simply a workaround until I can afford the real deal. Hey, I'm an old dog learning new tricks. I studied architecture back in the dark ages... before PC's. I remember when AutoCAD was the new trick.

This is mostly done with the tools that Suite has.   The arch was created in sketchup and imported, because the arch in the library  (exteriors>landscaping>arbors and arches)  did not work well.

The walls and roof above the arch were created by adding a 2nd floor over that area. 

Wedges (library>shapes) were also used around the arch to fill in wall space.

The ledge and walls below the pillars are soffits.

Once something like this has been created, you can use the edit area tool to copy/paste if you need more than one.

This would be easier if Suite had pony walls,  but I don't think that has been added to Suite.

post-63-0-86639200-1441414831_thumb.jpg

This is mostly done with the tools that Suite has.   The arch was created in sketchup and imported, because the arch in the library  (exteriors>landscaping>arbors and arches)  did not work well.

The walls and roof above the arch were created by adding a 2nd floor over that area. 

Once something like this has been created, you can use the edit area tool to copy/paste if you need more than one.

This would be easier if Suite had pony walls,  but I don't think that has been added to Suite.

Suite doesn't have pony walls, what's puzzling is that Suite has the Barrel roof, but only when you use the Dormer tool.