Basement ceiling finish

chiefuserrick

The space (rooms) above are likely set to a slab. Change the floor structure to something more appropriate.

You should then have drywall on the ceiling.

You may also need to make the basement walls higher to compensate for the increased thickness of the floor structure above. 

• Upvote 1

The space (rooms) above are likely set to a slab. Change the floor structure to something more appropriate.

You should then have drywall on the ceiling.

You may also need to make the basement walls higher to compensate for the increased thickness of the floor structure above. 

Hi Eric, this one still has me stumped.I have  attached the whole plan file (not finished) so you can see my settings.It's a bit complicated by the fact that the walkout basement room is under several structures on the first floor.

New Harmony.plan

You have the ceiling turned off (see post 2),both in the Floor Defaults and the Room defaults , it is also set to 0" thick ,so make it 5/8 if drywall, and turn it back on in the Structure Tab.

However is the room above built with a concrete slab or a standard framed 2x12 floor?

M.

I've attached your plan showing a few changes. I used an invisible wall to define where the slab stops and standard floor framing starts.

It's often instructive to review framing to see what the program thinks.

There are multiple problems with your foundation. Everything is floating above the slab several inches.

When I rebuild the foundation, much of it disappears.

Mick is also correct about the ceiling -- nothing will display when it's set to 0".

post-171-0-73671800-1441390893_thumb.jpg

New Harmony - Eric A.plan

You have the ceiling turned off (see post 2),both in the Floor Defaults and the Room defaults , it is also set to 0" thick ,so make it 5/8 if drywall, and turn it back on in the Structure Tab.

However is the room above built with a concrete slab or a standard framed 2x12 floor?

M.

changed the ceiling finsh to 5/8" and I have drywall. Ceiling is concrete, whole house is on slab.

Are you just painting the Slab then ? or framing down a Drop Ceiling and drywalling ? then you likely need to add 2x4/2x6 to the Ceiling structure along with the Drywall.

I also noticed a few issues like Eric did, but didn't try framing as it looked like a suspended slab Ceiling for that room to   me.

M.

I changed the floor definition in the rooms above, using a Room Divider to create rooms as needed.

Hi Eric, I can see you did, I'm a newbie and want to incorporate your change into my evolving plan but I can't figure out how to change the floor definition from 4" concrete to framing. I even tried in defaults. I placed room dividers where you did to partition my foundation but can't get past the floor structure dialog which is fixed on concrete. 

Check Default for floor structure. Rebuild foundation.

Also, every room that is a slab, should have that checked. Somewhere you are 4" off for your floors. I found it, but forgot where it was. When you rebuild the foundation, the walls are 4" above it.

I don't do foundations much so someone else would be better qualified to respond.