Shed dormer extending whole length of the roof - how to?

kibalapa

Mick:

Thank you for the comments and the article. I guess was unconsciously competent; I was following in my design most of the principles outlined in the article. The garage is log siding to match the existing log house. I have tried to mimic the main structure the best I could. I had to make the garage floor 144" high to give 24" of space above two10' x 10' garage doors - we needed that height for large vehicles. One of the porches is for the guests to enjoy the evenings, the other to park small vehicles, snow machines and the like...

I have been saving all my intermediate files so I went back trying to Rebuild 3D to see whether that would fix that triangular hole. It did not. I must have some hidden issues.

As to the corner boards on the dormers, initially I thought these were automatically generated. I am not sure about that anymore... Actually the plan for all corners was to have them just like on the attached picture of the shed. Again, I am such a novice to all this that I "do not know what I do not know" to quote someone...

I think that the dormers might have another problem due to an unusual rendering inside - see the attached LHG 5c. I was going to play with them after I got roof lines right... Any wisdom on what errors people make with dog dormers?

As to the skirt on all sides. I do not intend to have one in the front. I am thinking that 24" overhang might do the trick for the weather we have here in Alaska. In the back I might get a larger roof at a lower level to cover a fuel tank for an emergency generator. But that is for much later...

I am worried about that triangle; it suggests some corruption in the process... I am trying to take systematic approach and save everything along the way. I use most default options and then I realize that I have to customize some of them. That is probably where I get into trouble...

Thanks again, Peter

BTW, Nice design... too contemporary though for this place...

post-313-0-78001800-1404167234_thumb.jpg

post-313-0-60066000-1404167671_thumb.jpg

yes my pic was a "Modern Take"  on a garage a client (I am a GC/Builder) is hoping to make two storey like yours.... to use as an Art Studio, funnily enough the main "house" is a Real log cabin....

Your shed appears to be a conventionally framed building which was then "skinned" with log pieces rather than a real log shed which would account for the necessary corner-boards .

on the Dormer there just select the wall and "drag" the corner of the drywall right into the point , should fix it .....can't explain why it's there , its common on the inside and out side of dormers , and is usually fixed manually.  Only thing I can think to check is the thickness of the roof framing on the Dormer eg it maybe 3 1/2 " vs the 9.5 or ?  it needs etc.

HD/CA has issue with what is call Z Fighting . which is when two textures/items are "fighting for the same space in the Model , and you will literally tear your hair out , if you let it get to you.....   let it go :)  

actually i'd say you are doing great :)      

Thanks Mick!

Yes! It was just log siding. I have friends that "faked" the corners into log ends. You criss-cross the siding about a foot past the corner. You then nail to the back side of each end two stacked 2 x 8 pieces to add thickness, and you top it off with a foot of siding in reverse - you have to round this one to fit into the rounds of the siding. If you do it right it looks like the real thing. Well, this was to labor intensive for my taste.

I will try your ideas on the dormers when I get a chance. I will be busy next two weeks, though I might find some time to play with the computer....

Mick:

It is nominally 2" x 8" half-round log siding that my builder gets from Spenard Builders Supply that is the local supplier of that stuff here in Alaska. He was not sure who the manufacturer was; he said Home Depot used to carry it, but it has not had it for a while...

A quick internet search got me to to that:  http://www.applog.com/products/log-siding/

Hope this helps.

Peter