Floundering Newbie

Scottisimo

Hi, I have just started learning HD Pro, and have run into a snag.  The Users Guide told me to create an interior dimension, so I did, and got the 3' and 6'5 dimensions, whereas they got one dimension that was not broken into 2 parts.  Now they want me to move the vertical wall so that the interior dimension is 9'7-3/4.  I'm trying to move the wall using dimensions, just like I moved all the exterior walls into place, but it is not working.  I can't move that wall using dimensions, or by dragging it.  There are no drag handles on it.  Can anyone help?

I have no idea what you are attempting , but a page no# from the UG or some pics or something would probably help.

if you are too close to another wall , the interior dim. may break either side of it ? it depends on how your dimensions are set up to Locate Objects in the Dimension defaults.

You cant upload plan files if you have the plan open in HD , the plan must be closed , HD can still be open though.. 

See the 2nd link in my forum signature ...how to post plans and pics    if needed.

you also need to fill in your Profile Signature please..... see the 1st note in my sig for a how to as well below....

By "vertical wall" I'm guessing you are referring to the wall to the right of the 6' 5" dimension.

I can select that wall and drag it, or move it with the dimension.

Why can't you move it with the dimension? -- what happens?

And, if you create your interior dimension in the upper part of that space, you should get a single number, not the split dimension that results when you draw the dimension line closer to the lower part of that space. The software is being "smart".

Just clicking on that wall will give you temporary dimensions which can be used to move the wall too.

Hopefully I have now filled in my signature, posted a photo, and attached the plan file.

Perfecto ...Mucho Gracias....

Think Eric has been busy while I was Gone :)

but it looks like you just drew the dimension line too close to the Doorway (opening)  , the default "reach" for dimensions in the Plan Defaults is 24" , if you can't move 2' away , reset the default to 12" and it will work as expected. see the pics

post-25-0-39284900-1440227498_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-32286900-1440227746_thumb.jpg

By "vertical wall" I'm guessing you are referring to the wall to the right of the 6' 5" dimension.

I can select that wall and drag it, or move it with the dimension.

Why can't you move it with the dimension? -- what happens?

If I click on the vertical wall on the right, and then click on the dimension, which is now 9'5, the dimension does not get highlighted, and I cannot change it. 

I am not sure what's going on cos if I click on that wall I get 4 different clickable dims, all which allow me to move or alter the wall, is your wall definitely selected ?

attachicon.gifCapture2.JPG

Something's wrong with my plan.  I just tried clicking on every wall in the plan.  When selected, they should turn gray, and then when you hover the cursor over a dimension, it should turn highlighted in blue.  None of that is happening.

Try drawing a new plan.

Hovering over a dimension will change the pointer if it's a dimension associated with something you clicked on. I'm not sure about the dimension changing color -- it does not work that way here and we are using the same software.

Don't assume the colours are what in the tutorial as the tut may have been made in another version or the person may have changed their default colours , eg my selection colour is Pink as I find it easier to see  ( it's a Dan Baumann Tip from Chief Experts) and my selectable dims go light grey not blue ...at least they do in your plan ...see my pic above.

I am using your plan  , so I don't think it's that ......  mouse working okay in all other Apps ?

I don't know if my posts are coming thru.  They don't seem to be visible on this forum after I post them.  Is there a delay?

Anyway, I solved the problem.  I wasn't clicking on the Select Objects tool before clicking on the wall that I wanted to move. 

Not usually , normally you see it post immediately , but if you leave the reply window open too long and don't do anything it times out ....and sometimes kicks you back to the main forum.

Yes , being in Select Mode helps :)  ...I was right after all....    The easy way out of a selected mode is the Spacebar  , which puts you back in Select Mode AFAIK , while the ESCape Key lets you cycle through previous selected modes  , might want to check that in the Ref.Manual too. 

Not usually , normally you see it post immediately , but if you leave the reply window open too long and don't do anything it times out ....and sometimes kicks you back to the main forum.

Yes , being in Select Mode helps :)  ...I was right after all....    The easy way out of a selected mode is the Spacebar  , which puts you back in Select Mode AFAIK , while the ESCape Key lets you cycle through previous selected modes  , might want to check that in the Ref.Manual too. 

Kbird1,  what does AFAIK stand for?

I notice that several of you fellows seem to offer a 3D drafting service.  I have an upcoming project, which involves demoing an existing one story house down to the subfloor, leaving the subfloor and a few walls for tax purposes, and then building a 3700 SF 2 story house around the old subfloor.  There's nothing particularly complicated about the house.  Flat lot, colonial style, I already have the 2D plan minus the finish details (but the plans are hand drawn by a draftsman that does not use a computer).  Anyone want to give me a rough quote for turning it into 3D and teaching me how to use the 3D plan?  I may or may not actually do this, but am curious to know what it would cost.

DJP and I both help People out at times , David actually teaches HD/CA via GoToMeeting (GTM) Online on an hourly basis as well as doing Drawings for Clients, so if it's lessons you need , just find one of his Posts here, his Contact details are in his SIG.

Mick.