Can Home Designer Pro actually produce plans for a building permit

BobLewis

I am adding a 3rd floor addition to my home. I think that I got most of the plan done using Home Designer Pro but don't see how I could get the prints necessary to obtain a building permit. there are still a number of issues that need to be worked out but I don't want to keep committing significant amounts of time on the plan if I'm going to have to hire someone to produce the blueprints anyway.73whatcheer Sq deck.plan

yes it will if you are willing to put the time in , and have some experience making ConDocs.

There is only one layout sheet so you will need to make a copy of the plan for each view type needed for your plans at a minimum.

You will likely need to hire an engineer too since you have cantilevered decks and a hot-tub sitting on it etc.

M.

Thank you Mick and David for taking the time to respond. I do have a structural engineer that I am working with. I have had the roof truss plan developed by a roof truss company. I have had surveyors out to confirm that my plan would meet local code, especially the 35' height limit. I understand that I could only produce one layout page from each .plan file copy. My contractor says we can't go any further until I get the blueprints acceptable to obtain a building permit. I don't have any experience with "ConDocs" and have had no architect schooling. It sounds like I am going to have to hire an architect to produce the plans that would be suitable to obtain the building permit.

You do NOT need an Architect. Architects develop ideas for plans where a person just has some general idea of a project, an Architect can develop the idea and then turn it over to a draft-person. You have already done the "Architect" part yourself, I see little reason to pay big money for work you have already done. What you need is a drafts-person who can take your already created plan file and develop it into printed-scaled drawings for sharing with your Engineer (for the Engineering) and other Building Professionals who will assist you in building your plans.

In Home Designer Pro you create a layout file for each laid-out printed page. You have one plan file and from that plan file you create multiple layout page files, one for each printed-scaled page.

Mick or me can help you with that at prices well below what most Architect's charge.

DJP

Sure ... happy to help if I can....

Most City's/Counties have a lot of Documentation on their Websites in regard to Building Permits so it should be fairly easy to figure out what you need to do , I guess it depends on your Time Frame whether you want to do it yourself or not.

PM me your email add., and I'll get back to you  and look at what you have so far....

Thanks David, that seems to make sense. there are some more issues with my plan that have been frustrating and I saw no point in continuing if someone else had to draw up the plans anyway. maybe I will continue. what would you estimate the price range would be if I ask you or Mick to do the plans to get the building permit? 

You do NOT need an Architect. Architects develop ideas for plans where a person just has some general idea of a project, an Architect can develop the idea and then turn it over to a draft-person. You have already done the "Architect" part yourself, I see little reason to pay big money for work you have already done. What you need is a drafts-person who can take your already created plan file and develop it into printed-scaled drawings for sharing with your Engineer (for the Engineering) and other Building Professionals who will assist you in building your plans.

In Home Designer Pro you create a layout file for each laid-out printed page. You have one plan file and from that plan file you create multiple layout page files, one for each printed-scaled page.

Mick or me can help you with that at prices well below what most Architect's charge.

DJP

Hi David,

I'm just down the road just south of San Antonio.  This is great to hear as I am getting near that stage.  I've done a killer design (at least I think so...) and just need a little help with some minor cleanup and then figuring out how to get drawings made so I can start bidding out the foundation first and then the entire project.  This is my first time to ever use the program so it's been quite a challenge but fun and interesting.  Can I pm you?

thanks,

JHawk

To the OP. I don't normally like to get drawn into these amateur vs. architect discussions. DJP is correct that you aren't legally required to use an architect to do the plans. However, taking a quick look at your plan, you might benefit from some limited design guidance from a good licensed architect, even if you don't use him/her to do the condocs. You could probably get a much less awkward plan for the same construction cost by challenging some of your initial assumptions, like stair location. A fresh eye could benefit you enormously if "pride of authorship" is less important than getting a great house.

• 4 months later...

Hello All

Sean from Australia.

I was a past user of Chief Version 9 if I recall...new user to Home Designer Pro

I believe HD Pro can only create 1 layout page per plan...any tricks to create a layout page that requires more than one page to accommodate the plan, elevations, 3D's etc ?  I assume that a file save as process may get around it ??

Happy new year to all

Sean

Hello All

Sean from Australia.

I was a past user of Chief Version 9 if I recall...new user to Home Designer Pro

I believe HD Pro can only create 1 layout page per plan...any tricks to create a layout page that requires more than one page to accommodate the plan, elevations, 3D's etc ?  I assume that a file save as process may get around it ??

Happy new year to all

Sean

A tip for the future, you'll want to avoid "hijacking" someone else's thread like this and instead create a new post of your own in the Q&A section.

In short, your layout file can only have one page, but you can have a bunch of single page layout files.

HOWEVER, if you try opening any old layout files created in your old Chief version 9, there's no way to see those additional pages in Pro.  You'd have to upgrade to the current version of Premier.

• Upvote 1