Craftsman-ize a plan

dveith

I've completed a design for a new home.  Our covenants require it be less than 21' high, and exhibit strong craftsman styling.  I'm rather new to Home Designer Pro, Can folks provide some tips on what I should look to do to make my plan to make it more Craftsman-like?

thanks.

post-2090-0-56073600-1439948908_thumb.jpg

post-2090-0-17051700-1439949007_thumb.jpg

post-2090-0-00710800-1439949016_thumb.jpg

check out some of the online plan services for ideas but a front porch with large columns, stonework , wide trim details, wide roof overhangs exposed rafter tails, knee braces etc. 

most California Bungalows are in the Craftsman's Style too

https://www.google.ca/#q=craftsman+homes

Cali. Bungalows

https://www.google.ca/#q=california%20bungalow%20style

PS add you Details to your Forum Signature , so we  know who you are and what you are using....

I had a quick play and changed roof lines and types, Stud height, added some Columns etc , changed window and door Trims etc , but it is going to be about details , ie add some knee Brackets and other elements like exposed Rafter Tails. I also lowered the garage to give it it's own distinct Roof, so it's not quite so boring to look at.....

with 21' to the Ridge you could likely squeeze the Quilting Rm/Office Upstairs if you wanted more room on the Main Floor , this is fairly common in California Bungalows with steeper Pitch Roofs.

post-25-0-62940300-1440014084_thumb.jpg

LOT_MH.plan

I pushed the left side of the house back a bit to increase the size of the front porch.

My first thought when looking at the plan would be to swap the kitchen/nook and family room. Family room gains windows on 2 sides.

Bedrooms will need egress windows, so I enlarged the one facing the front. Added a 3rd window left of the front door just for looks.

Lowered the roof pitch to 4/12.

post-171-0-89539000-1440019835_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-59334900-1440019850_thumb.jpg

lot C.plan

Thx Eric, the difference was the Final View with Shadows which I had not tried applying After the Technical Ill.  and I found turning Color Off also cleaned up the "lines" lots of moire otherwise.

There is a request on CT for a "White" Preset at the moment which I like the idea of too.

post-25-0-30232500-1440168163_thumb.jpg

It was a cloudy day, but you will sort of get the idea of the lot this plan is for.  It's the lot with the tree in the middle of the image, next to the house that is on the neighboring lot.  The back deck will be oriented to the view of course.  II should be able to load your plans suggestions tonight.

post-2090-0-77132900-1440273598_thumb.jpg

Good eye Mick.  You are right about the neighbor's home.  I believe they got an exception to the covenants, but I don't think that is something that they want to allow for subsequent home builds.   I think they got an exception on the height too.  I'm pretty sure they are over 21 feet.

But they have set a precedent ,  so I'd go after it , esp. if you want 2 storey etc.....CM detailing is COSTLY and your neighbours didn't do it ...so your house would look "outer place" ..so to speak next to it ...still nice though ..I like CM houses myself , so if budget isn't a concern ..go for it. :) 

Eric & Mick,

Thank you for ideas and you provided on my original design and for posting your plans.  Wow, you both spent quite a bit of time making improvements and adding craftsman touches.  I need to figure out how you did some of this (especially the column work.  I really struggle with them) but your plans will help me learn.  

I would love to build a loft for the quilt room, but the 21 foot limit is something I know they are going to want me to adhere to.  There are views from the lots behind our that would be impacted. You are right about the neighbors setting a precedent, but I don't want everyone angry with me either.  We hope to retire there, and avoiding a lot of neighbor drama is a priority.

Thanks again Eric & Mick!

Oh, almost forgot...is the best way in HD pro to get the overall elevation to generate a 'backclipped cross section' and then using the measuring tools, or is there an easier way?

dave 

Back clipped or STD Elevation , I usually turn off Colour and Line Weights for these View to make it clearer too.

I did change the garage doors cos the steps off the front porch interfered with access and driving straight in but if the garage was wider and doors moved over that may not be necessary and I made a couple other changes in there too as did Eric I think to the bedroom/bath/closets. I didn't add the shingle and knee braces etc ( no time), but there are lots of "touches" you can do for the right look.

Not sure if Eric used Columns from the Library or some he Made but mine are some I made , if you search the Forum on "Columns" you should find the Library I posted , they are blocks , so you can unblock them and resize if needed. (actually you can save them out of my plan into you library too , but the posted Lib. has 3 kinds) 

My Stainless Steel Library is here too , HD's library material are just a dull grey.

With a steeper Pitched roof I think you could get the Quilting Room upstairs and esp. with a gable facing the view have some nice Windows too. , since the Lot has a slight Slope it may depend on what the Datum point is for the 21ft limit

M.

This one shows a raised roof/ceiling over the living/kitchen area. Allows for taller windows to take in the view.

Also bumped the wall out a bit just for looks.

The columns are the Stacked Column from the library.

post-171-0-35356400-1440381913_thumb.jpg

Research Airplane Bungalow if you are interested in a small 2nd floor. These were often used for sleeping in the summer.

post-171-0-60413500-1440382875_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-33139000-1440382888_thumb.jpg

Also suggest increasing the width of your halls to at least 42". This will make movement much more comfortable, and allow for wheelchair access if it's ever needed.