Move entire building

bddemers

Hi, I am getting fairly competent with the program, but have a long way to go....(HD Pro)

I have a complex terrain plan finished and I'm trying to see where on my land I want to build my house. It is somewhat steep.

Q: Can I build it and then select the entire house and move it around to see where it looks and works out the best?

...or should I build the entire house on a separate flat, blank plan page and copy and paste the full structure over?

I guess another related question would be how rotate it just slightly as well.

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it. I'll post some pics as it goes along.

Schluersburg Plan Working Backup.plan

Never and I mean unequivocally never move the house model, not ever not no how. You rotate and locate the terrain plane and its elevation objects TO the house, leaving the house in its proper screen North-South position in plan view. You carefully select the terrain perimeter, elevation objects and features and rotate-locate them to the house. Rotating the house or structure in plan view will ruin or degrade all your hard work. DO NOT DO THAT PLEASE!!!

DJP

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You modulate terrain, then when you have multiple buildings with varying floor heights, such must be manually changed, one structure to the other a dialog box at a time. You should want to not rotate actual structures off right angles if at all possible (off right angles just makes editing harder to do but if you must, you must). I would expect that such work is most easily accomplished in Home Designer Pro and any other title would be extremely difficult if not impossible to do (too many variables for comfort).

DJP

I have a complex terrain that I copy to other plans to see how the structure would fit on that terrain. It is somewhat large and complex, built with many elevation lines. Here's how I am able to do it relatively easily:

If you have structure etc. already built, turn off the display of everything except the terrain.

I zoom out to see the whole thing, then select the entire terrain, making sure that all of my elevation lines are selected.

Then I go down to the bottom toolbar and find the graphic that is a cube, and the tooltip is Make Architectural Block. I select that.

This will put your entire terrain into one object that can be copied, moved, turned, etc.

I copy from one plan and paste into another.

Then in the new plan, select the thing you just pasted. From the bottom toolbar, select "explode architectural block." It is in the same location as the original one - the icons look like the cube is separated. This will paste your individual elevation lines (or points).

CAUTION - you WILL have to redraw your terrain perimeter!! This copies ONLY the elevation data.

But once you have redrawn your perimeter, you're all set!

Good luck,

Susan

Thanks for the comments - I guess as the owner or client I am trying to use HD Pro as a 3D visualisation tool at this early stage of concept design for the beach side site which will be built out over several stages, including eventual demolition of existing buildings.

It seems as though HD Pro doesn't have simple architectural 'building block' type tools which can easily be used like this for conceptualisation, the blocks would then fitted with doors, windows and landscaped with a few paths, fences, power poles, water meters, swimming pools, tin sheds and plants, put the sun shading on to confirm views and other sight lines in a 3D walkthrough. 

Being able to select a general building type i.e. straw bale, tin shed, lightweight insulated (weatherboard), single and double brick, ceiling height and roofs would be enough to get a rough room plan layout sized out up to a couple of stories. Throw in a few toilets, sinks, chairs, beds and tables or rough blocks again to check the interior dimensions actually work.

The tool is actually constraining the design concepts at the moment I have a 4x4 meter tin shed which is currently represented by an insulated clad building with a hipped roof and eaves - hard work to clear out stuff that isn't required at this stage.

The building designer will do the actual build plans but I now understand why making a simple plan change even this early in the process is so painful and why so many new buildings are located badly in their landscapes with windows in the wrong places.

I will press on to get my rough walkthrough and then enjoy doing the detailed interiors.

Being able to select a general building type i.e. straw bale, tin shed, lightweight insulated (weatherboard), single and double brick, ceiling height and roofs would be enough to get a rough room plan layout sized out up to a couple of stories. Throw in a few toilets, sinks, chairs, beds and tables or rough blocks again to check the interior dimensions actually work.

The tool is actually constraining the design concepts at the moment I have a 4x4 meter tin shed which is currently represented by an insulated clad building with a hipped roof and eaves - hard work to clear out stuff that isn't required at this stage.

Marquee select the whole building to spin it or hit delete and it's all gone in about 10 secs.... ( read up on Edit modes in Pro)

And don't forget the Space Planning tools and the premade Grouped rooms in the Library for quick planning too

http://3dlibrary.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?YII_CSRF_TOKEN=7f6c5f8e4717d0d97c415d3eb8dd17c2635945a2&r=site%2Flibrary&search=&x=true&hid_cpca=0&hid_cpu=0&hid_ctm=0&hid_ctnm=0&hid_ctu=0&hid_order=&hid_norotator=false&hid_soft_family_1=0&hid_soft_family_2=1&hid_soft_1=0&hid_soft_2=0&hid_soft_3=0&hid_soft_4=1&hid_soft_5=0&hid_soft_6=0&hid_soft_7=0&hid_soft_8=0&hid_soft_9=0&hid_version_4=1&hid_version_3=0&hid_version_2=0&hid_version_1=0&soft_family_2=2&soft_4=4&version_4=on&x=0&y=0